Tracking/reliability/durability- Leupold fixed vs. variable

Charles A

I need a new scope for a light(er) weight medium range rifle, and have decided on a Leupold fixed 6x or 3-9x. That choice is mainly because of size/weight and the availability of the M1 turrets. Everybody says my- (insert scope here), tracks/works great. Nice so does mine. What I'm looking for is technical, proven information whether a Leupold FXII, or FXIII 6x, will have better consistency in tracking and durability then a VX2, or VX3, both with M1 turrets.

What I really want is a "real" Mark4 6x. But alas no cookie. I have/do use the ULTRA/MK4 10x and 16x, and the MK4 3.5-10M3, and know they work. I would prefer a varible... slightly, however absolute dependability and reliability is paramount on this rifle.

What say ye? catshooter?????

Thanks,
Charles

Me neither, but i do like the fact that the std. Duplex is 4.5 inch per hundred yds. to the lower post tip from center x-hair with the FX-III. Would make for a great intermediate range ballistic/rangefinding reticle.

I have an M1 ele. turret on my 6x42, though I haven't truly wrung it out yet.

Will say that the times I have dialed it, it has tracked as expected, and I can twist the turret all day, and it returns to zero each time.

Carl

My 3.5x10x40mm Vari-X III isn't repeatable. Bought it new. Leupold said to send it back but I haven't done it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.