Tracking/reliability/durability- Leupold fixed vs. variable

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Charles A, May 12, 2007.

1. Charles A

Charles A Well-Known Member

I need a new scope for a light(er) weight medium range rifle, and have decided on a Leupold fixed 6x or 3-9x. That choice is mainly because of size/weight and the availability of the M1 turrets. Everybody says my- (insert scope here), tracks/works great. Nice so does mine. What I'm looking for is technical, proven information whether a Leupold FXII, or FXIII 6x, will have better consistency in tracking and durability then a VX2, or VX3, both with M1 turrets.

What I really want is a "real" Mark4 6x. But alas no cookie. I have/do use the ULTRA/MK4 10x and 16x, and the MK4 3.5-10M3, and know they work. I would prefer a varible... slightly, however absolute dependability and reliability is paramount on this rifle.

What say ye? catshooter?????

Thanks,
    Charles

2. CatShooter

CatShooter Well-Known Member

I don't have any experence with the little 6x.

3. Charles A

Charles A Well-Known Member

Understood thanks.

Anybody else?

4. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Me neither, but i do like the fact that the std. Duplex is 4.5 inch per hundred yds. to the lower post tip from center x-hair with the FX-III. Would make for a great intermediate range ballistic/rangefinding reticle.

5. FRANK21

FRANK21 Well-Known Member

I have a ton of variable Leupold MK4s, VX3 targets. they all run without fail.

6. Gustavo

Gustavo Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a ton of variable Leupold MK4s, VX3 targets. they all run without fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same experience with my pair of Mk4 4.5-14x50mm MilDot IR

7. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Charles

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03c

The IOR line has a proven track record and they have a 6x42 with target turrets and MP 8 reticle.

Not a leupold, but certainly proven and IMO as good if not better than the MK4 and similar characteristics.

BH

8. zingdingo

zingdingo Well-Known Member

I have an M1 ele. turret on my 6x42, though I haven't truly wrung it out yet.

Will say that the times I have dialed it, it has tracked as expected, and I can twist the turret all day, and it returns to zero each time.

Carl

9. ba19500

ba19500 Well-Known Member

My 3.5x10x40mm Vari-X III isn't repeatable. Bought it new. Leupold said to send it back but I haven't done it yet.