Fixed 10X vs variable at 600-700 yds

jwcrabb

Hey Guys,
Just got thru reading the frequently asked questions section, and i'm still confused. I have a simple question... Is it possible to consistantly hit targets at 600-700 yds with a fixed 10X tactical type scope, just as well as with something of higher power? I'm new to the long range game and it just doesn't seem possible. Educate me... Thanks

Initially, 3-9x scopes were used. However, repeatability was problematic. So the 10x was introduced and became the *standard* military 'long-range' optic. Shortly thereafter the 10x optics were produced, 16x and 20x were added for the spec-ops guys. So yea, 10x will definitely be good to 600-700 yds.

Nowadays, machining is so much better than before that POI repeatability is constant in the higher-end variable powers. So if you have a choice, a *good* variable offers greater flexibility over the fixed-power optics at no loss in accuracy/repeatability.

Thanks Guys, I've decided on a 3.5 X 10 X 40mm Leupold. I've got my eye out for a good used one in the tactical version if possible. Hope I can find one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.