Fixed 10X vs variable at 600-700 yds

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by jwcrabb, Feb 18, 2010.

1. jwcrabb

jwcrabb Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    Just got thru reading the frequently asked questions section, and i'm still confused. I have a simple question... Is it possible to consistantly hit targets at 600-700 yds with a fixed 10X tactical type scope, just as well as with something of higher power? I'm new to the long range game and it just doesn't seem possible. Educate me... Thanks

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

YES!

My short answer is too short.:rolleyes: Get a good 10X though as they don't compare w/a variable, lower powder, under poor light conditions.

3. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

Marine snipers used a fixed 10X Unertl scope for a long time. Worked for them.

4. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on why the BR guys go variable at much higher powers?

5. fmajor

fmajor Well-Known Member

Initially, 3-9x scopes were used. However, repeatability was problematic. So the 10x was introduced and became the *standard* military 'long-range' optic. Shortly thereafter the 10x optics were produced, 16x and 20x were added for the spec-ops guys. So yea, 10x will definitely be good to 600-700 yds.

Nowadays, machining is so much better than before that POI repeatability is constant in the higher-end variable powers. So if you have a choice, a *good* variable offers greater flexibility over the fixed-power optics at no loss in accuracy/repeatability.

6. jwcrabb

jwcrabb Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys, I've decided on a 3.5 X 10 X 40mm Leupold. I've got my eye out for a good used one in the tactical version if possible. Hope I can find one.

7. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

You may want to check here on LRH scopes for sale.