Toughest metal finish

ODGreenARTB007.jpg
:D

Boss Hoss piqued my interest so I searched using Google any number of different ways but I couldn't find anyone advertising to coat firearms with HVOF yet. Maybe it's a work in progress...

Let's just say I am working on this. As far as I know there is no one using it right now--lot of details to work out but it can be done.

Melonite looks promising but the access to the process might be sketchy at best. I have a barreled action that will have a moly action and stainless barrel. I will have to see if I can find anyone to get it processed for less than $200.

The HIGH temp vapor deposition seems quite scary for gun parts.

How well does Cerikote take touch up jobs? I am assuming it will not last on the bolt and raceway much better than duracoat does.

Thanks.

Mauserkid

I did check out the advertised wear performance earlier. I just ever see those numbers stack up in real life. If company XXXX paid for the study it may look different. If anyone has used this on the inside of a rifle action for 8 thousand rounds before it fails I may believe it. I know your being helpful so please don't think I don't believe YOU I just don't believe what any company selling a product advertises on thier web page without actual customer feedback.

Mauserkid

I did check out the advertised wear performance earlier. I just ever see those numbers stack up in real life. If company XXXX paid for the study it may look different. If anyone has used this on the inside of a rifle action for 8 thousand rounds before it fails I may believe it. I know your being helpful so please don't think I don't believe YOU I just don't believe what any company selling a product advertises on thier web page without actual customer feedback.

It works----believe me. Used extensively on landing gear systems on military aircraft currently in production.

ODGreenRedhawkafter.jpg

This is my CCW, it is abused, and the holster is non-lined. Very coarse interior, There is a slight discoloration at muzzle, with the sharp muzzle starting to show. I cannot get a good picture of it, (old camera).
This stuff is not bullet proof, but is tough stuff.. If conditions are present, like my holster, which I actually lie on working on equipment and so on, even metal will wear...

I looked into another process used by tool and die makers, for the cutting surfaces that is a much harder, metal coating. Looks very cool, but the equipment to do this process started at one MILLION dollars.... It uses a vacuum chamber, magnetizes the metal to be treated, they have these disks they run electricity through. The disk let off a gas, the gas floats across the surface of the metal in a magnetic state.. The gas clings to the surface, and then hardened...

So, due to the fact that no one would spend one hundred thousand to coat a handgun, I chose the Cerakote as the best, strongest alternative and there are a variety of colors to chose from.

Thought I would toss this in.. I coated a knife, and then I sharpened it... It seemed like hours of stoning to get to the metal. I actually felt an edge on the coating before I broke through to the metal..

I dont know anything bout this coating stuff, and I am not tryin to steal a thread, but for you guys that do know this stuff I have a Q. I bought a Rem XCR 270WSM, this Rem has a "TRINITE" coating, they say this stuff lasts forever, like you could burry it in the snowy mud for 100 years and dig it up and it would still be perfect, Anyone know what this trinite coating is, how long it really lasts and all. I mean, How can you come up with a NEW product that has only been out 1 or 2 years and say it lasts 100 years, untill it has been out 101 years???

As is the case with practically all current weather-resistant rifles, the 700 XCR boasts a stainless steel barreled action. The chromium in stainless steel puts the brakes on corrosion but can"™t stop it altogether, so manufacturers typically coat the metal for a further level of protection. Nickel plating is a preferred coating, and that"™s how Remington top-dresses the XCR"™s stainless exterior.

The difference""what ultimately gives this rifle its superior durability""is yet another protective barrier, one Remington calls its "œTriNyte Corrosion Control system." As a finishing step the company applies zirconium nitrate, a compound traditionally used to coat cutting tools like drill bits. It is hard enough yet ductile enough to withstand serious shock, abrasion and heat, yet possesses a natural lubricity that facilitates the work of moving parts. Remington uses a vacuum process called physical vapor deposition to ensure that a thin, perfectly uniform layer is bonded over the barreled action"™s surface. Though I can"™t explain how zirconium nitrate manages to be so impervious to the forces that effect other metallic compounds, nothing I"™ve done so far has dinged, scratched or corroded the rifle even slightly.

John Zent---American Hunter

Stole this from another site.. Basically it is the process I was describing before. Pretty tough stuff, and they have the money for all the equipment...

I guess at some point it's just cheaper to buy new guns than the expense of the super coatings. I guess I will stick to mostly blasted stainless and not worry when a little of the finish wears off.

Mauserkid I sent you a PM.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.