Toughest mountaineering style boot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

I'm looking to replace my worn out la
sportiva glaciers.
I'm tough on boots and have trashed many in one year.
Currently looking at schnees granite pro, and scarpa fuegos.
Anyone have some feedback on those boots or something comparable?
Not looking for gtx or insulation.
Thanks

I'm no boot expert but I can offer what I do know from experience. Soloman Quest did not require any break in, were comfortable right out of the box, and a good choice for general hiking. They were not the most durable and did not have a stiff enough shank for an extreme mountaineering boot. Lowa mountain experts have been very durable stiff boots that are heavier but are holding up well. It took a lot of miles to break them in but they should last for a lot more miles as well. I have learned that I need a full shank mountaineering boot for the heavy and steep or my feet don't hold up. In flatter country carrying less weight I would rather have the lighter less rigid boot. Choice between brands would largely be made on how well they fit. For durability I would look for something with a high rubber rand.

Last edited:
Never tried those, have always had good luck with Asolo boots, so stuck with them for long hikes and climbs..
Yeah they're good boots but I trashed two pairs of the high end models in less than a year!
I'm no boot expert but I can offer what I do know from experience. Soloman Quest did not require any break in, were comfortable right out of the box, and a good choice for general hiking. They were not the most durable and did not have a stiff enough shank for an extreme mountaineering boot. Lowa mountain experts have been very durable stiff boots that are heavier but are holding up well. It took a lot of miles to break them in but they should last for a lot more miles as well. I have learned that I need a full shank mountaineering boot for the heavy and steep or my feet don't hold up. In flatter country carrying less weight I would rather have the lighter less rigid boot. Choice between brands would largely be made on how well they fit. For durability I would look for something with a high rubber rand.
That's exactly right, a comfortable boot right out of the box will fail quickly in my experience.
I'm now looking at the Scarpa Grand Dru pretty seriously

I use what I know. That being said, I've had danners that lasted a few deployments, and the Rockies sv something spec ops (there's nothing specops about them) lasted a few deployments. Both great boots for mountaineering. However I trade comfort as time goes on for protection 98% of the times (in reference to boots) and just go with merrel chameleons. They definetly don't last as long for say a deployment or actively training but they are so much more comfortable. They'd probably hold up for strickely mountaineering however they are low cut and people looking strickley for boots tend to frown at low cut so I guess it depends what you are looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.