Initial Tubb's Final Finish Report

royinidaho

Initial Tubb\'s Final Finish Report

After a 7 Month wait to get a 338 RUM bbl fitted to a 700 BDL I finally got to shoot the thing. It feels nice to go bang, bang again.

I had a Tubbs recoil lug installed. What a behemoth (means big, really big) I think it weakened the stock when I inletted for it. We'll see.

From recommendations from those on this board that I think know what they'er about, I skipped the #1 bullets and only shot 1/2 of the number 2s. It was said that the #1s are for the really bad bores. This barrel was a new unfired take off barrel so I figured I'd take the advice given.

I also skipped all of the bore scope plans. They just didn't work out.

I did the cleaning rod 'feel' test. The barrel felt smooth for the first half then was rough for about 10" then smoother again.

After the 10 shots w/the #3s the bore was a smooth as a new born babies butt from end to end. What I initially thought was smooth (initial impression), wasn't nearly as smooth as when I was done with the #3s.

I was really pleased with what I was feeling through the cleaning rod and dry patches.

Based on the above, I then shot only half of the #4s then half of the #5s.

I was shooting 82gr Ramshot Magnum, Fed-215s and of course REM cases. Velocities started out just under 2400 and ended up just over 2500 FPS. I don't know if the velocity change was due to bore smoothness or different grit on the bullets.

Observations:

1) The barrel do get hot. The temp was 95 but 5 shots was the limit, I felt so I cleaned every 5 shots vs the recommended 10.

2) Bore smoothness improved dramatically.

3) I don't think I'd use the process on any custom barrel though I've had some Shaw barrels that I thinks could have stood a little treatment. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tubb's process on any factory barrel or any barrel that is on the down hill swing.

We'll see what happens when I start the normal break in and load development.

Re: Initial Tubb\'s Final Finish Report

I was shooting today in 95 degree weather again, as usual. Did you shoot 5 shot strings, in how many minutes. I found that with my sporter barreled 270, after 1 shot the barrel is very very warm, after letting cool 15-20 minutes between shot 1 and 2, after the 2nd shot, it is ridiculously hot. I got to shoot 2 loads, or 6 shots in 2 hours. Even waiting 20 minutes between shots is not enough. Ridiculous.
I dont even think about bringing my 300 RUM out.

With the Tubbs process the additional friction of the grit on the bullet greatly adds to the heat generation. One has to be extra careful when doing this process.

you guys need a barrel cooling setup to flush cool water through the tube between groups. Their pretty easy to make and don't cost to much.
Roy I think I have some more supplys for one here someplace I'll try to put one together for ya if you want , its the least I can do for the help you have given me.

I'm gonna have to breakdown and ask what all it takes to make such a device. I am very interested. Anyway you can post a picture while your at it?? I am so sick of going out and shooting a couple shots in a couple hours, total waste of time, especially when there not doing any good. I was putting a white towel over the whole rifle, hoping the little shade would help, but I dont think it made a bit of difference. I guess theres always one solution to this problem and thats to not work up loads in the summer. Better get them done in spring or fall because summer is just not the right time to develop loads, of course my own opinion.

Remingtonman_25_06 shoot me an E-mail and I'll give you the break down of all the componets for the setup , it all pretty simple and cheap.

jjones75 at bellsouth.net

hi
i have been putting my rifle in the truck with the air con on full
seems to help
thanks
Colin

Guys, for barrel cooling I don't know why you need to create some elaborate device when you could use something pretty simple. I've posted this several times and nobody has tried it or even responded to it. Hopefully someone will this time.

I have found a great method for water cooling is to get a rag and some isopropyl alcohol and rub the barrel down. This will not warp wood stocks, will cool because well it's a liquid, will evaporate, thus not leaving a mess, will draw heat out of the barrel when it evaporates, and only costs 99 cents for a pretty large bottle that will last me 3-4 range sessions. I also use a pretty liberal ammount on the rag at each time.

I and a friend of mine have been using this for quite some time. I usually run a few patches of CR-10 down the barrel to at least attempt to cool from the inside. Using this practice I can usually get 30 rounds off within an hour. While the rate may be increased with a water cooling system, to me the hassle of bringing it to the range would outweigh the benefits.

Just something to try.

Now, back to the Tubbs system, did you shoot the rifle prior to doing the Tubbs treatment? If so was there any improvment over the shot groups?

[ QUOTE ]

Now, back to the Tubbs system, did you shoot the rifle prior to doing the Tubbs treatment? If so was there any improvment over the shot groups?

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave serious consideration to shooting a couple of groups prior to the Tubbs sys but decided against it as I felt I didn't want to just randomly select a load and shoot a group and working up a 'best' load would take too many shots.

Thus I just pretended that a competent barrel maker had 'lapped' the barrel prior to my receiving it.

The weather is not good for flying today so I guess I'll just have to shoot a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Roy,
what did you use for the 'feel' test? cleaning rod with dry patch, wet patch or a brush?

Roy ,I went to the range this morning with two 300RUMs to do a Tubbs Final Finish break-in. I try to always do two or three at a time to save tons of time. You can always have one gun ready (cooled off) to shoot at all times. It usually only takes me one more hour to do three than just one.

I started the process at 6:00 am and had them done by 9:30 . I goofed off spotting shots for grouper who was doing some final load development on a 270 wsm for part of the time.

The process worked beautifully as always and both guns cleaned in two patches ,with Coppermelt after the last ten shots.

The only thing I would say to you about the sequence you used is that if you shoot ten 3s then you need to shoot ten of the 4s and 5s. It's like sanding wood and progressing with the next grit until you have all the scratches gone before you move to the next finer grit.maybe it will be OK? You could just shoot 5 more of the 4s and 5s before you start your next range session.------Good luck----RHB

Waffen- Sounds pretty easy. So the alcohol wont hurt the wood stocks, and you dont have to use that much? I think I will go buy a bottle of that. I never thought of turning the AC on full blast. That would work to I guess, waste of gas though.

I never thought of turning the AC on full blast. That would work to I guess, waste of gas though.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi
tell me about it,diesel is now £4.50 a gallon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
thanks
Colin
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I just pour it on until the rag is soaking, it probably only takes about 2-3 fluid ounces. Then I get to rubbbing.

A friend of mine uses it on a beautiful 700 CDL, a Weatherby vanguard, a CZ, and I use it on my CZ 550 without any ill-effects, and he slathers that stuff on there. No problems to report at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts