topless glue in barrel block

lazylabs

I know this sounds a little strange but I was thinking about making a topless barrel block that was glued to the barrel. If it was 6-7" long I think you would have plenty of surface area to keep a strong enough bond. I would then bed the block into the stock so it was removable. Thoughts? I would float the action with screws in the stock mostly as a safety precaution. Thoughts???

No problem with topless barrel block, but why not screw it to the bed block with 3 or 4 1/4-28 cap screws. Use a recoil lug to catch the recoil then float the action. 3 more 1/4-28 screws to hold the bed block to the stock and or bedding it tight to the stock. It ought to be a real shooter.

I don't think a smooth bond joint would last very long without a few screws to help it out.

I would not do it---

I have years of barrel block experience and my opinion is that yes you will save weight but no, you will not gain any accuracy nor reliable bedding benefits "topless". If done properly the concept is to have the upper half torqued to about 65-85# to fix the barrel into one location; remove that secure posiotn and what do you have??

Overbore

There are plenty of glue in blocks that don't have any screws using mechanical pressure to hold the barrel and they seem to work. I was just trying to keep from having a chunk protruding further sideways from the barrel and I didn't want to turn a shank on the barrel to slip fit it in a block. It just seemed that if you had at least 6" long section epoxied to say 1/3 of the barrel surface with the block securely in the stock you would have the equilivant of some of the glue in benchrest actions with less leverage working against you. I don't really want to drill and tap into the barrel to secure a block to the barrel that way. I will make a full capture block before I go that route. Thanks for the replys so far.

Never ever tap into the barrel!!

Yes. I know about the sights but not for barrel blocks!! There are too many designs that feature either epoxy bonding to the block or bolting block halves together. What you appear to be doing is trying to have a bedding chassis similar to the stocks that have an integral bedding block; if so it will work. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.