Glue ? Or epoxy ?

that one hell of an ambitious project .. i would practice on inletting before cutting into wood that nice , not saying youll mess it up ..

there is a video from boyd's that shows their process on youtube it said they use a 20ton (i think with heat too ) to press to the laminates together .. ill try to find it

i personally think the laminate look is played out . i think youll be more proud of something unique that wouldnt me mistaken for an off the shelf stock ..
Exactly right. I would buy another Boyd's. But my head keeps coming back to what if it don't fit. Then I gotta modify it. Now, I don't mind modifying stuff, but if I'm gonna spend a lot of money, this time around, I want it perfect, for me. I may be off some, but I'm thinking around 350.00, all said and done, if I pull this off, and...it will be perfect !

Gotta love that black walnut crotch.
Unsteamed, no less. It was- is a truly gorgeous piece of wood. Wish I had lots more of it. Tore some walnut trees down, in OK, farmer said it's fire wood. Thought about trying to buy one of the larger logs from him, but couldn't figure how to get it to Tucson. Oh well.

After building custom longbows and recurves for 10 years and seeing the abuse they can get while hunting I think I would go with epoxy!
Never have had an issue with it.

As a previous contributor to this thread I find it humorous...... Epoxy is a glue... albeit one you have to mix, Titebond requires no mixing. You makes your choice, buy the stuff and live with the consequences...... This is beginning to be like a religious discussion.

Liking the Titebond. Found out it's more resistant to solvents than I thought. And in retrospect, having used it a bunch, it resists wood finishes, so why would it not be good with mild solvents ? It'll be good !

Sounds good!
I have no experience with tight bond I just know I would trust epoxy 100%.
If tight bond is a good to go plus it is easier to use then it's a win win!!

I would use epoxy and run a thin layer of carbon fiber cloth in between the layers of wood. It does two things 1 looks great and 2 strengthens and stiffens the stock, which will not be a bad thing with the .338.

I wouldn't. Carbon fibre is known for being difficult to fully saturate with resin. We ran into that in building the envelope for my college's Human Powered Vehicle. Most real carbon fibre parts are made from "pre-preg" and are cured in an autoclave. Kevlar isn't much better, but it is enough better that it can be used where carbon fibre can't. If I recall right, CF is good for stiffness while Kevlar is better for strength.

I have done quit a bit with carbon fiber and never had a problem both in laminating with wood, making parts and in boats. All the top wood 1000 yard F-Class and Benchrest stocks use carbon fiber cloth between the wood to add strength and stiffen them up, its working just fine. I just saturate the cloth before putting it between the wood for layup. It also depends on the epoxy you use.

OK, then either the State of the Art has progressed since then (Highly likely) or the very large difference in areas is a big factor (also highly likely).

I can easily see the forearm being stiffer by it's inclusion. If there were a way to include it in a tubular shape (inside the forearm, under the barrel?) I suspect that the stiffness would increase again.

I shoot at Williamsport PA in the 1000 yd shoots. I am also a gunsmith for over 30 yrs. I've looked at almost every rifle on the line up there. I haven't seen carbon fiber in any of the laminated stocks there. So no not all 1000yard stocks have carbon. This includes the 2 world record holders stocks. Shep

Last edited:
I shoot at Williamsport PA in the 1000 yd shoots. I am also a gunsmith for over 30 yrs. I've looked at almost every rifle on the line up there. I haven't seen carbon fiber in any of the laminated stocks there. So no not all 1000yard stocks have carbon. This includes the 2 world record holders stocks. Shep
Let me correct myself, most the top wood stocks being made "today" for both F-class and Benchrest are using CF in-between the lamination.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.