Glue ? Or epoxy ?

My 1000 yard competition stocks finish out with 6 inch wide fore ends and 2 inch flat bottom butt stock. They are glued with tight bond and have never come apart. Never even a little crack or anything. Personally I think I would use epoxy if it was a pure hunting stock. I think either would work fine though. I know the Boyd's stocks are tough as nails. Shep

My 1000 yard competition stocks finish out with 6 inch wide fore ends and 2 inch flat bottom butt stock. They are glued with tight bond and have never come apart. Never even a little crack or anything. Personally I think I would use epoxy if it was a pure hunting stock. I think either would work fine though. I know the Boyd's stocks are tough as nails. Shep
Why, Shep ? And which one ? I actually called Titebond this morning- Technical Assistance. The guy said folks been using their product for years in Gunstocks. No issues.
I'm after a look that a Boyd's doesn't have. They are a good, solid product with an intriguing look, at a price point most wouldn't hesitate to plunk down, myself included. The one I broke on my 338-378 Wby was my second, and I'm sure their are more in my future...just not THIS stock.

Titebond 2 and 3 are not 100% waterproof. Plenty of YouTube vids showing this. My target stocks don't have to sit in the rain all day. Plus if they get wet during a relay I can dry them off right away. Epoxy is waterproof and absorbs into the wood more than carpenter glue. But like I said I think both could do the job. Titebond is so easy to use and cheap also. Shep

It's gonna be 3 pieces in the wrist and butt, and maybe 5 layers in the forearm. Middle piece is walnut, don't much care about figure there cause it won't really be visible, or not a lot, anyway. The outside layers are going to be as highly figured curly maple as I can find on the day I go to the store. Then I'm going to use 3( I think) dyes-- black, green, and purple. Not sure about the colors yet, I gotta decide to decide. Anyway, I'll have a blast doing it.

Titebond 2 and 3 are not 100% waterproof. Plenty of YouTube vids showing this. My target stocks don't have to sit in the rain all day. Plus if they get wet during a relay I can dry them off right away. Epoxy is waterproof and absorbs into the wood more than carpenter glue. But like I said I think both could do the job. Titebond is so easy to use and cheap also. Shep
Ok, I understand. Yeah, she's not really a carry rifle. In current trim, it weighs 16.5 pounds. Current barrel is 31" long, and after I shoot it out( half way there!) It'll get the 34" it was supposed to have till the guy who put it on cut 3" off. So no, it won't get wet. Post up some more pics, fellas.

I've had great luck with guitar dye on curly maple. It comes in a powder and can go on with one or more coats and does really nice fades. This stock is blue but I dyed it black first and the cleaned the black off the hard wood then put the blue on. Gave it much more contrast. Shep
Message_1521423195565.jpg
Message_1521423195565.jpg
Message_1521502940932.jpg

That's 8 pieces put together with wood glue. Bob Shields glues these up and has a guy cut the outside profile. You have to do all the in letting yourself. Shep

Man, I can hardly wait till I get to that point ! I truly enjoy the brainstorming that goes into that kind of stuff. It's almost as if the rest of the world just fades away.

20170119_182118.jpg
I made this shadow box. Took over 300 hrs. Not new to wood, only rifle stocks. I have every reason to believe I can do a rifle stock, and be happy with the results.

that one hell of an ambitious project .. i would practice on inletting before cutting into wood that nice , not saying youll mess it up ..

there is a video from boyd's that shows their process on youtube it said they use a 20ton (i think with heat too ) to press to the laminates together .. ill try to find it

i personally think the laminate look is played out . i think youll be more proud of something unique that wouldnt me mistaken for an off the shelf stock ..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts