glue in barrel block

G

Wondering what people are using to epoxy barrel in block? The method they are using to apply the epoxy? What their method of taking old barrels out of block?

I haven't personaly seen anybody glue the barrel into the block , most blocks are made to either glue into the stock and the block clamps around the barrel or alot of nice block are bolted into the stock and then the barrel is clamped into the block.
I have seen a few BR guns that had the barrel "glued" into the stock , I believe that most of the time the stock is pretty screwed up after the barrel is removed because the idea is for the stock and barrel to be one solid unit.

But as for the glue used , their are several out their that are desgined just for the gunsmithing world like Acra-Glass and Steel Bed , but alot of others work well also like Marine Tex , Devcon Plastic Steel , JB Weld and several others.

almost no one uses the glue in anymore. When you have to change barrels you will understand why.

Costs more in time and money to get them out and then new one back in. buy a 9 inch split and be happy.

BH

Your reply begs a question :)

Can you just epoxy the barrel to the stock, assuming the the recoil lug is also glued in, and be done with it?
Is this a viable bedding method?

thanks,

edge.

Here in Williamsport glue,epoxy is still very big. I have a couple of each but have never done any myself. Which brings me to where I am now. I want to pull a barrel and put another one in. I have seen one barrel done with acraglass where the smith used a clean toothpaste container screw it in threads in block squeeze until epoxy comes out other openings. To remove can be done with a torch and a hydraulic press. I have heard of one using a set up with a zert fitting. Don't know if I was being led on or not. Just trying to get some more input as to how others are doing it.
Thanks.

Edge
This setup does not use recoil lug. Barrel is glued in block. Blocks fasten to stock with screw up from the bottom.
Everything except block is free floating. Block can be considered a tuning device.No damage to stock. However barrel in block area is usually roughed up for epoxy.

Can you just epoxy the barrel to the stock, assuming the the recoil lug is also glued in, and be done with it?
Is this a viable bedding method?

this might be the ultimate way to bed a shooting system.the down side is,as stated,most use a torch and hyd. press to change the barrel.you just need a new stock each time you change barrels.

if you want the ultimate, make the barrel, action, scope base and stock from one piece of steel.that would give you the best "bedding"

I have extensive epoxy experience and share the folowing: 1. the unfilled two part epoxies <font color="red"> </font> are basic 3,000psi adhesives. 2. The filled expoxies have less bonding strength, arround 2,000psi. 3. If you have a split barrel block and it, the lower half, is glued to the stock as my 300wsm is, no recoil lug ( shooting 210 gr Bergers), is needed and everything else is free floated giving you the best of all words. This system won the 2003 LG in Iowa BR Nationals. 4. If you e-mail [email protected] he will give you an update on this new type of barrel block. Cordially, Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
ps: I used straight glue-ins in the 1970's; one time to get everyting exactly right---better odds in Reno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.