Too close for comfort in a tree stand

2 guys were in a tree stand when a bear decided to climb the same tree they were in.

Little cubs. The first thing they are taught by momma bear is to climb a tree.

Shooting fish in a barrel -baiting bear. Real hunting!
Never understood this.
Just like going. to a Deer Ranch. They show you pictures when you get there ( or you buy your deer before the trip) and say which one you want to shoot? Will cost you $$$$ for "A" $$$$$$ for "B". Then take you to the feeding station, which by the way they electronic tag the deer and know exactly what time they come to eat with "Readers" at the grain feeders.
I knew a group of hunters that I actually hunted with "Free Range" in NY and then showed me videos of the "Buck Board" the "Feed Stations" and cost per deer of their trips. Their trips were in Saskatchewan, Canada. I was invited to go on a Bear and Deer hunt up there. I said sorry I would rather hunt than shoot tame programed fed Deer or Bear.

Little cubs. The first thing they are taught by momma bear is to climb a tree.

Shooting fish in a barrel -baiting bear. Real hunting!
Never understood this.
Just like going. to a Deer Ranch. They show you pictures when you get there ( or you buy your deer before the trip) and say which one you want to shoot? Will cost you $$$$ for "A" $$$$$$ for "B". Then take you to the feeding station, which by the way they electronic tag the deer and know exactly what time they come to eat with "Readers" at the grain feeders.
I knew a group of hunters that I actually hunted with "Free Range" in NY and then showed me videos of the "Buck Board" the "Feed Stations" and cost per deer of their trips. Their trips were in Saskatchewan, Canada. I was invited to go on a Bear and Deer hunt up there. I said sorry I would rather hunt than shoot tame programed fed Deer or Bear.
Agreed. This is not hunting. Don't condon the hunting at baiting station thing. Most states have laws against such stuff. Don't know where this was filmed. But it is kinda funny. Good thing mama didn't continue climbing up to where these guys were. Outcome may have been WAY different. 😁

Last edited:
yes that was a yearling cub, first time on its own , learning about seniority / and its place in the bear world

But bears are very curious animals by nature
if you hunt where there are good populations of black bears, having one climb a tree to get a better view of what is UP the tree is not that uncommon, from small younger one's to bigger older one

I have had several encounters with bears climbing tree's and sniffing me and or parts of me, then moving back down and on there merry way!
can recall a 500lb one once climbing the tree and licking my boot while looking at me, HAHA!
never felt in danger either, just stayed calm and spoke softly to it, and it seemd to fingure out what I was, and once it did, it climbed back down and walked away!

But odds are if that was a MOTHER bear that tree'd her cubs,(females will give off a warning to the cubs to tree) it may have had a different outcome, as things can get more precarious in that situation, mostly all depending on how the cubs react to what is in the tree with them
if they stay calm, odds are so will she!

I have treed many a females and cubs over the yrs
a few yrs back I even had a female with 3 cubs in my back yard that used to tree her cubs up a tree next to my deck, and then she would leave for 2-3 hours at a time and some back for them while she fed down in one of my food plots 200-30 yards away!
them cubs would sleep while she was gone, some times, hanging upside down and to me looking like about to all out of the tree, but never did,
I used to enjoy watching them, used to joke and telel friends, she was leaving them for me to baby sit! HAHA!

On a long range forum, which has a specific element of hunting that draws ire from many sides because it is long range and many things happen in the natural world between the trigger breaking and the bullet impact, and you guys choose to chide the ethics of bear baiters? Sheesh. Maybe better for you to remain silent than…

I know a guy that happened to, Bear had cubs so he puts his rifle down and picked up his camera. Cub climbed his tree, saw him and bawled, then came mamma, lightning fast, pushing her nose on the stand platform. He peed his pants, and the Guides had to get him out of the tree.

That was not mama coming up the tree behind the small bear. That was a bigger bear chasing the small one off the bait station.
Whether it was another bigger bear or mama doesn't really matter much. It was a MUCH bigger bear. Not good any way you slice it. Those guys are sooo lucky. Could you imagine just how much you would be sweating out them leaving without an altercation? Looks a bit to high up to jump out of the tree. If mama or the bigger bear would have climbed up like the cub did, you would have seen me sprout wings. 🤪

most folks with very little real bear experience will over react, those with a lot of time about bears will stay calm and understand things better!
like the old saying goes,
knowledge is power!
and bear attacks are super rare, even when folks are about bears a lot!

the most dangerous bears in the woods fall into 3 categories IMO< a SCARED ONE< an injured one and last, is a starving one , a healthy normal bear wants nothing to do with humans and will avoid them using skills t nature gave them!
those, two conditions, however
will lead s them all to be unpredictable, which can also mean aggression over flight!
and don't laugh, even a BIG bear gets scared, ,
get too close to one without it knowing you were there, and it will be scared/startled,
and they will react with either flight or flight means, MOST times, its flight!

other wise, there would be a lot more reported bear attacks on the books!
but facts are, a healthy bear seldom attacks, and even scared injured hungry one's do there best to flee from humans!
we just plain STINK to them! and are rarther well known to be trouble on two feet!

most folks with very little real bear experience will over react, those with a lot of time about bears will stay calm and understand things better!
knowledge is power!

the most dangerous bears in the woods fall into 3 categories IMO< a SCARED ONE< an injured one and last, is a starving one , a healthy normal bear wants nothing to do with humans and will avoid them using skills t nature gave them!
will lead s them all to be unpredictable, which can also mean aggression over flight!
get too close to one without it knowing you were there, and it will be scared/startled,

but facts are, a healthy bear seldom attacks, and even scared injured hungry one's do there best to flee from humans!
we just plain STINK to them! and are rarther well known to be trouble on two feet!
Hard to say who was more surprised or scared. The bear or the human. Imagine the bear thinking, "what are doing up in this tree"? 😳 My tree, go get your own!

knowledge is power!

I've been privledged to hunt (usually hunting white tails) a lot in an area with a lot of black bears and I agree with everything you said. But it should be emphasized that we are talking about black bears only. From what I understand Brown bears are a different story and a lot more dangerous.