close range hunting,way too close

uncleB

I headed out of town Sunday morning with no particular destination just mostly to get out of cell range so nobody could find me,by Sunday night I was smack dab in the middle of nowhere. I pitched my sleeping bag in the back of my truck and was sound asleep shortly after dark,I was awakened at 4:00am this morning by lightning it was in every direction giving quite a light show,after a half hour or so it subsided and I was going to go back to sleep when a thought crossed my mind, I wonder if there are any coyotes here.I touched off a high note on my howler and had 15 to 20 coyotes singing back to me,some very distant and some with in a few hundred yards. I waited until the first ray of light then grabbed my rifle and call and walked out of sight of my truck,I blew on my call very softly for about 15seconds just in case they were close.I waited for 2 minutes and was just ready to blow on the call again when I thought I heard rustling in a sage brush I turned around and there were 2 coyotes eye to eye with me at arms length.
I was more scared than they were.one ran off directly into where the sun was rising so I focused on the other one and pulled the trigger,he fell instantly to the ground and for 8 to 10 seconds before he died he started chewing violently on his own leg ,very strange
IMG_0730_1_1.jpg

This was just how he looked with his leg in his mouth when he died.
I was on my way back to the truck when the wind changed directions, I could smell smoke then I looked around and noticed that I was in the middle of a wild fire that was headed my way, it was a crazy drive out the smoke got so bad it was making me sneeze uncontrolably and my eyes were watering so bad I had a hard time seeing where I was driving,no time for a good picture so here is a bad one from a couple miles after I got out
IMG_0732_1_1.jpg

ub

I did leave a few things out. the 2 coyotes came in directly from down wind of me,this does not happen very often.
The reason he got a 55gr Nosler enema is because he was running straight away from me and it was the only shot I had.
The rifle used was my Sako579 in 22-250AI
UB

Uncle B,
That was a hell of a story, I know what you mean about getting out of cell range. Sometimes we just need some time for ourselves. I'm going to get plenty of time to myself real soon, I'll be traveling by myself from Anchorage AK to Tyler TX.
Thanks for the story,
Brandon

And here I thought you were being goofy and placed the foot in its mouth afterwards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cool pics

[ QUOTE ]
Uncle B,
That was a hell of a story, I know what you mean about getting out of cell range. Sometimes we just need some time for ourselves. I'm going to get plenty of time to myself real soon, I'll be traveling by myself from Anchorage AK to Tyler TX.
Thanks for the story,
Brandon

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you going to Tyler? That's just up the road from me (sorta).

Funny, I guess all coyote do this, I mean chewing on their wounded leg before they died. I once shot a coyote with my 300 Win mag and only manage to mangle one of his leg and he did the same thing like your yote did (chewing off his wounded leg). It took another 180 grain to put him out of his misery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Uncle b,
Are you sure your cell phone didn't cause that fire when it got overloaded from all the calls coming in!?

Nice shooting by the way. You definetly hit it where it lived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know about you guys, but if GG blew my ba11s off like that 'yote, I'd be chewing on my leg too !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Hey B,

Are you gonna patented this new form of castration????? I think I would have chewed on my foot too!!!!!! Boy that gets me ready to go yote hunting.

good shooting and nice pics

steve

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, I guess all coyote do this, I mean chewing on their wounded leg before they died. I once shot a coyote with my 300 Win mag and only manage to mangle one of his leg and he did the same thing like your yote did (chewing off his wounded leg). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Red foxes chew there wounded legs like this too, I shot a running fox through the front leg last year.Had a job finnishing him off while he was doing a "fish on a line" impresion, chewing his front paw!!!

My cell has a really nice on switch which only works if my car breaks down and I need the AAA emergency road service number. Are you the slave of the machine or have you dominated it so that it is your servant. Out of range, bah. I am always out of range.

Last edited:
Great story. The fire in that sea of grass could of put you out of range -permanently.

Appears fire danger this summer is going to be a real concern. We've had one small fire in CO unit 62 that burned for 3 days a couple of weeks ago.

Jack

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.