To brake or not to brake

Clem Bronkoski

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?

Muzzle brakes make shooting from field positions more consistent regardless of cartridge. I probably will never go brakeless on a hunting rifle again. Carbon barrels allow larger brakes without looking out of place which makes my point even stronger.

IMO, no need for, or really any pros to, a brake on that gun. Recoil is easy to manage, decent fundamentals will have you spotting impacts easy. Brakes are loud, can add concussion, can throw debris in your face....all cons to me for that setup.

I have a Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM. Recoil is modest to say the least but I was wondering if there is any benefit to putting a muzzlebrake on it other than a "looking cool" factor.
I'm so used to shooting my .45-70s that this is like shooting a .22 LR. So any benefit to the MB?
If you are ok with the recoil there is no benefit.

If you are ok with the recoil there is no benefit.

This is an incorrect statement. We can disagree on wether a brake is worth it or not but recoil reduction for comfort is NOT the only benefit of a brake. You will be able to spot your shots without a brake on a creedmoor with good form but I can guarantee the reticle displacement will be less with a brake and that will mean more precise impacts in more shooting positions. That is a fact. Again if that is not worth it to you then that is your prerogative.

This is an incorrect statement. We can disagree on wether a brake is worth it or not but recoil reduction for comfort is NOT the only benefit of a brake. You will be able to spot your shots without a brake on a creedmoor with good form but I can guarantee the reticle displacement will be less with a brake and that will mean more precise impacts in more shooting positions. That is a fact. Again if that is not worth it to you then that is your prerogative.
But you don't need one to spot your shots, at least I dont. So if you can spot your shots with a creedmoor without a brake and you are man enough to handle the massive recoil from the creed - whats the point? Also, a brake doesn't mean more precise impacts - thats an incorrect statement as well.

When shooting targets or practice I wear ear plugs plus electronic muffs, and I have never had an issue with concussion. While hunting, the long range spot and stalk type hunting I do allows me to always have ear protection in while shooting. I put a brake on my 13 lb .260 AI, and it made it more pleasant and more forgiving to shoot. Recoil wasn't the issue, though my 6 year old son can now shoot prairie dogs with it.

It's like the difference between shooting a nice Kimber .45 ACP and a comped STI 9mm major open gun. Neither one has unmanageable recoil, and fast/accurate shooting can be done with both. But the STI is a world of difference in how the gun handles recoil. Some will understand the reference, others may not.

If you frequently shoot at a crowded public range, I wouldn't. If you mostly shoot by yourself or just with friends, and want your gun to shoot flatter (not trajectory, recoil wise) and always wear ear protection, go for it. Just get a side port brake and not a radial, as mentioned.

But you don't need one to spot your shots, at least I dont. So if you can spot your shots with a creedmoor without a brake and you are man enough to handle the massive recoil from the creed - whats the point? Also, a brake doesn't mean more precise impacts - thats an incorrect statement as well.

I already made a statement and it is fact. You may be correct sitting on flat ground where you have all the time in the world to set up your shooting position but you are wrong when you have to take a shot from an odd position. The FACT is the less the reticle moves upon firing the more likely your bullet is to hit where you are aiming, not a minute away, not .5 moa away. The spot you are aiming at. Use one, dont use one I could not care less. They will make your more precise over more shots.

Please explain to me why you think Benchrest shooters literally spend thousands on rests to get the rifle to track perfectly??? Now tell me a brake does not help achieve that same goal. You can't. If you can you have not fired many rifles with and without a brake. We can go around and around but you are wrong. I can't make you want or feel the need for one but these benefits are facts not opinions. The only opinion part is worth.

Last edited:
I already made a statement and it is fact. You may be correct sitting on flat ground where you have all the time in the world to set up your shooting position but you are wrong when you have to take a shot from an odd position. The FACT is the less the reticle moves upon firing the more likely your bullet is to hit where you are aiming, not a minute away, not .5 moa away. The spot you are aiming at. Use one, dont use one I could not care less. They will make your more precise over more shots.

Please explain to me why you think Benchrest shooters literally spend thousands on rests to get the rifle to track perfectly??? Now tell me a brake does not help achieve that same goal. You can't. If you can you have not fired many rifles with and without a brake. We can go around and around but you are wrong. I can't make you want or feel the need for one but these benefits are facts not opinions. The only opinion part is worth.

Ryan, Just because you make a statement doesnt mean its a fact. A brake isn't a rest. And you realize that benchrest takes place on flat ground? Your made contradicting statements. By your logic, a 204 ruger with hardly any recoil should always have more precise impacts than a 6.5 creedmoor because the reticle displacement less when you fire? Come on man.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.