Tikka T3 WSM long action magazines

EE_Reloader

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a slightly used Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. It shoots great, but would like to change the bolt stop to make it a long action. Mainly in part to take advantage of the heavier 30 caliber projectiles on the market. Has anyone tried this? Also will the factory long action magazine work and feed the rounds correctly or is there something special I need to do? Thanks for the help.

Just get a long action mag and the bolt stop. I just picked up a 300WM for a donor action and the mag holds the 7 SAUM case just fine.

They also make the PRC mag now but not sure what the max COAL is on it.

Just get a long action mag and the bolt stop. I just picked up a 300WM for a donor action and the mag holds the 7 SAUM case just fine.

They also make the PRC mag now but not sure what the max COAL is on it.
I run the factory Tikka 4rd 6.5 PRC magazine on my 7SAUM rifle.
It allows out to about a 3.070 OAL, which is enough for my loads, if I needed longer I would use a 3rd 300wm magazine, but I sure like having the 4th round in a hunting rifle

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a slightly used Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. It shoots great, but would like to change the bolt stop to make it a long action. Mainly in part to take advantage of the heavier 30 caliber projectiles on the market. Has anyone tried this? Also will the factory long action magazine work and feed the rounds correctly or is there something special I need to do? Thanks for the help.
Mountain tactical is what you want

https://tikkaperformance.com/product/tikka-gen2-long-action-mag/

And this bolt stop
https://tikkaperformance.com/product/tikka-t3-t3x-bolt-stop/

Thanks for the recommendation @7.62 Gunner. I bought a long action magazine and they fit ok but I am having issue with extraction when I try and cycle the action with a live round (my reloads). I have not had an opportunity to fire the rifle and work the action but I suspect that the issue will persist.

I've tried both Mountain Tactical's and Hells Canyon Armory mags in my Tikka. My reco based on that experience is to either use factory or the Hells Canyon magazine. I couldn't get the Mountain Tactical mag to stay securely in my rifle and they couldn't offer any help other than to tell me to buy another mag release spring. Factory and HCA mags are very secure in my setup.

I built a 6.5 PRC on a Tikka WSM action. It was a two-step process. I changed out the WSM magazine to a 300 WM. Then I removed the bolt stop and ground it down to allow the bolt to come back farther. It was easy to do as the tikka bolt stop has two hollowed out sections to show you what to remove. Just grind down to the first hollowed out section

That's good to know @Sconnie42 so I don't have to keep buying different magazines. I already bought the Mountain Tactical bolt stop and installed it, it's well made and I don't regret the purchase.

@azsugarbear I bought a standard Tikka long action magazine that is probably what 300 WM uses. The 300 WSM brass seems bigger and the 3 rounds are pretty tight in the magazine. The first round gets caught on the ejection port and they extract better as you move down the magazine. Additionally any round that it single fed into the chamber extracts fine. This makes me think that the issue is with the magazine.

I've tried both Mountain Tactical's and Hells Canyon Armory mags in my Tikka. My reco based on that experience is to either use factory or the Hells Canyon magazine. I couldn't get the Mountain Tactical mag to stay securely in my rifle and they couldn't offer any help other than to tell me to buy another mag release spring. Factory and HCA mags are very secure in my setup.
I had this problem with the Mountain Tactical mag too. I used a 0.030"-0.040" stainless shim washer under the front action screw and the mags worked.

If you do the mountain tactical mag, make sure you get the Long Action-Short Mag Family cartridges, and not the 300 WM.
It's specifically made for the .550 case with a longer coal. I'm using one with a 7mm Sherman mega, witch is a pretty straight walled case, and it feeds like dream

Factory 300wm with long action bolt stop works for the 7saum loaded long. Should work with 300wsm too. I prefer the factory magazines over the aftermarket. They seem to be more reliable!

If you do the mountain tactical mag, make sure you get the Long Action-Short Mag Family cartridges, and not the 300 WM.
It's specifically made for the .550 case with a longer coal. I'm using one with a 7mm Sherman mega, witch is a pretty straight walled case, and it feeds like dream
From what I can tell, MT only makes 1 "do all" long action magazine, in a 3rd and 5-6rd capacities. And 1 short action in 3 and 5-6.
I've been told from a lot of people that they do not feed rebated rim cartridges very reliably.

Factory 300wm with long action bolt stop works for the 7saum loaded long. Should work with 300wsm too. I prefer the factory magazines over the aftermarket. They seem to be more reliable!
7saum cases were to fat to fit/feed in an old 30-06 T3 magazine I had.
I'm assuming they used to use a standard and a magnum long action mags and have since moved to 1 long action magazine that works for both.

From what I can tell, MT only makes 1 "do all" long action magazine, in a 3rd and 5-6rd capacities. And 1 short action in 3 and 5-6.
I've been told from a lot of people that they do not feed rebated rim cartridges very reliably.
I bought mine 2 yrs ago. When I talk to them, they told me that it was specifically for the WSM case.
If you go here and scroll down, you will see short mag family of cartridges, under long action magazine