Tikka t3 lite for my wife

bretterath

My question is I'm getting my wife a new deer rifle in the next week or two and she really likes the tikka's the best so that's what she is getting. I'm just not sure what caliber to get. She used to have a custom 260 for hunting and shooting and it was too heavy and wasn't shooting it much so sold it and doesn't want to spend the money on a custom. She will be using it for deer hunting and also shooting it at the 1000 yard range quite a bit also. She likes to longrange hunt also out to about 650 yards is her max at taking any animals. The factory caliber a I was looking at were the 7mm-08 and the 270 wsm. What are your thoughts on the calipers or if you suggest a different caliber. Is 600 yards too far for a 7mm-08 with 140 accubonds? I want your guys input on a caliber. Thanks for your time.

For a factory rifle, it's hard to beat a tikka out of the box for accuracy and workmanship at the price they sell for. I don't own a 7mm-08, but do own a 308 and it is capable out past 600. I've actually self-imposed a 600 limit, with a 625 discretion for a perfect broadside, and I have to believe that the 7mm will have a better BC, more speed, a little less energy, but still more than enough to put down deer. I'm getting about 975 ft/lbs with a mv of 2800 fps @ 600 yards for a 7mm-08. if the bullet is put in the boiler room, it should be game over.

Good luck and have fun. So many choices out there, it's hard to go wrong!

Pssst... Would she be open to a tikka 7mm rem mag with a brake. Then she could use it way out there, and mild recoil as we'll. you could use then as well on occasion :D

Because tikka don't don't come in a 260 from the factory any more. I have been looking for a used tikka t3 in a 260 for a couple years and pretty sure who ever has one won't sell them.

How about a 270win??? The mag tikka's seem to be a bit jumpy and rather stout in the recoil department from what the word is here but the standard 270 I have is light and shoots very well and isn't jumpy with no soft pad or brake on it.

What are u getting for velocity with your 270 and what bullets u using?
I am using both 130 grain and 150 grain offerings in two different 270's. My tikka likes 130 nos bt's with rl17 at 3050 fps or 150 hdy sp's with 7828 at 2850 fps. I also shoot barnes 130 mrx in this rifle with rl22 at 3100 fps. I also have a slow load for the 130 hdy bonded using a compressed charge of wc872 at around 2700 fps; that's just a cheap to assemble plinking load as I got the bullets and powder for a steal.

My marlin 270 likes The 150 hdy sp with 7828 at 2850 fps, the 130 gmx with I 4831 at 3050 fps, or the 130 sierra with rl22 at 3050 fps.

Tikka has a 6.5 x 55 but they are tough to find - but they are out there. The 6.5 x55 is so close to a 260 that at 1000 yds you won't know the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.