Tikka 270win to magnum

Sounds heavy to pack around!

Yeah, she's no light weight (IIRC under 10 lbs as seen/hunt ready) but this old man manages to take her atop the mountains ...

HF73NP2.jpg

Unless it is due for a re-barrel, leave it alone. As others have noted, the .270 Win is no slouch and really depends on your purpose. I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G SS #6 barrel propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

I am with Feenix on this. If the barrel is good have it AIed.

AEB2D7C9-8837-47DD-826A-D3BCC7B5FC70.jpeg
I don't care to carry heavy boat anchors when walking a bunch. I'm not versed for 700 yard shots either, realize a few are.

Barrel length is also a person preference. Hunting the cedar swamps of N MI is different than the western mountaintop. I usually use a 20-22" barreled gun. My 24" gun is for prairie dogging.

284 Win ammo & brass are readily available again, just not at Walmart. That happens to be my favorite, sorry, the plate is taken in WI.

View attachment 138652 I don't care to carry heavy boat anchors when walking a bunch. I'm not versed for 700 yard shots either, realize a few are.

Barrel length is also a person preference. Hunting the cedar swamps of N MI is different than the western mountaintop. I usually use a 20-22" barreled gun. My 24" gun is for prairie dogging.

284 Win ammo & brass are readily available again, just not at Walmart. That happens to be my favorite, sorry, the plate is taken in WI.

That is why I noted as such ...

Unless it is due for a re-barrel, leave it alone. As others have noted, the .270 Win is no slouch and really depends on your purpose. I have a .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G SS #6 barrel propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS.

Agreed, build is always a personal preference/choice. My .270 AI was primarily built to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLDs and LRH/S. I have rifles with 18-22" barrels for the purpose you noted.

There's some pretty spookem powders and booltiz that will push the 277 pills pretty fast...

If you reload you'll save some coin and reap the rewards of a few ft-per seconds...

Look at the RL powders as they will boost the zoom zoom and triple shock boolitz to match the change...

I agree with the above post,,, the 270 will work for Elk and Deer if you close the gap,,, if you want more,,, sell your pipe and buy something that better suits your needs...

You'll be miles ahead on the funds,,, you won't see your rifle for this hunting season if your planning on the work over starting now,,, if your lucky you might...

I'm on a fast turn around build this year,,, lucky that my builder could squeeze me in for a fall hunting project.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.