Thunderbeast dominus cb vs ultra 7

Get the Dominus. If you need a direct thread just run the flash hider and its easy to move around to different rifles and to get out of the can if your using the break on something. Its not conveyed very much but I find the Dominus has a little bit different recoil impulse then the U7. Both are great cans so no worries about making the wrong decision.

happy shooting.

Last edited:
I have a Gen 1 Ultra 7 CB and a couple of Dominus CB. Both work well and retain point of impact with the CB brake. If I were getting just one, I would go with the Dominus because it has a wider range of application (e.g. a 7 inch barrel 300 BO pistol with supers). The Dominus is noticeably larger OD which may or may not be an issue for some setups. The Gen 2 Ultra is reportedly an improvement over the Gen 1 that I have. I don't think you can go wrong with either purchase and applying for the stamp electronically may help you avoid some of the hassles I've experienced in the past.

Its not covered very much but I find the Dominus has a little bit different recoil impulse then the U7.

How would you describe the difference?

I went with the dominus. Not sure I like how fat it is, but 2db quieter and a bit shorter made me lean that way. Curious if "noticed recoil" is better.

First suppressor, still in jail. Day 146 on e-form. Feels like it's been a lifetime, idk how you guys used to wait for 1+ years on paper form.

I actually like the fatter can. The recoil impulse is a bit shorter and sharper then my U7. No data to back that up just a "feeling" seems like im back on target quicker with the Dominus.

I think the Dominus was a LOT better before the gen 2 ultra 7 came out. They're close now. Dominus can run on gas guns like ARs if that helps.

In Great Britain, France, and Germany almost everyone uses suppressors. They call them mufflers, In fact, they look a lot like lawnmower mufflers. Apparently they come in several sizes. They look to be all steel. And all that I've seen are much less expensive than the ones we have here in the US! Why???

In Great Britain, France, and Germany almost everyone uses suppressors. They call them mufflers, In fact, they look a lot like lawnmower mufflers. Apparently they come in several sizes. They look to be all steel. And all that I've seen are much less expensive than the ones we have here in the US! Why???

The NFA and GCA, being the simple answer.

Elsewhere in the world suppressors are commonly referred to as moderators. Because that's what they do.

I'm assuming the reason moderators/suppressors are much easier to get is because they are viewed as safety equipment. Plus firearms a more difficult to obtain in most of those countries.

I dont get it myself. At the most it should Take a 4473 to buy a suppressor, at the least, nothing.

It makes no sense at all….. but that's true for 2/3 of the legislation on the books. A few congressmen have tried to introduce legislation to exempt suppressors, but it gains no traction.

People in the USA are morons on average. They put way too much stock in Hollywood propaganda and there is enough fear spewing that people believe a suppressor is going to turn all us hicks into assassins.

Yes you are. Most likely it's a pressure issue in the expansion chamber driving the longer barrel length requirement for the overall shorter Dominus can, but you can call TBAC to confirm. Very nice people.

Yes you are. Most likely it's a pressure issue in the expansion chamber driving the longer barrel length requirement for the overall shorter Dominus can, but you can call TBAC to confirm. Very nice people.
Odd tho. They told me go dominus over the 7 for my 11.5" pistol.

Did you get the SR model? The SR mounting system is a better option for high volume firing schedules because of the positive lockup during heat cycling. The Ultra 7 is rated to 11.5" for 223 Rem also, but that doesn't mean the overall suppressor system is the best choice for an AR platform. If fitting under a handguard isn't important generally shorter/fatter cans work better on ARs from a shorter overall length perspective. On a bolt gun by the time you've put a 7-9-11" can on the end of a 26+" barrel what does an extra inch or two of length really matter.

The 300 PRC burns 4x more powder than the 223 Rem/5.56, so 22" might be close to a break in the data in terms of double barrel length/ quadruple propellant mass. TBAC does a lot of real work on pressure testing cans, but IIRC Zak said they do extrapolate certain calibers.

IMO depending on what specific goals for a gun are the Dominus-K might be the best choice for SBRs because it reduces the muzzle signature to below the ejection port volume level, which is about as good as can be asked for from an AR can. The K is on my list for my AR-10 SBR. 12.5" for full-house 308 Win/ 6.5 CM loads :eek:

Not sure if that was directed at me or not. My pistol is a TC 6mm creedmoor. I called TB and asked if I could use my ultra 7 and they said no. It's confusing by 7 is also a gen 1. However, if the gen 2 was better, I would have just bought it. Confusing.