Thumler's vibratory case cleaner - worth the money??

SouthTXBowhunter

Im in the market for a case tumbler and I'm wondering if there's a real reason to spend the money ($167) to buy a Thumler tumbler; or whether I'll do just as well with something much cheaper like a Lyman (or similar) tumbler that's 1/2 the price. I'm all about buying quality equipment but you don't always 'get what you pay for' and I thought I'd ask y'all before I blow that much on a case cleaner.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3143115086/thumlers-tumbler-ultra-vibe-case-tumbler-110-volt

What do YOU think??

Last edited:
If you are only going to use dry media (corn cob or walnut), the vibratory cleaner that Midway sells (Frankford Arsenal) is very good. I have two of them, and they are durable, quiet, and about a third of the price of the one you are looking at.

Right now it is on sale at Midway for $64.99 includes the tumbler, rotary media separator, bucket, media, and case polish. It holds 600 9mm cases or 360 .223 cases. Item # 414369

If you are only going to use dry media (corn cob or walnut), the vibratory cleaner that Midway sells (Frankford Arsenal) is very good. I have two of them, and they are durable, quiet, and about a third of the price of the one you are looking at.

Right now it is on sale at Midway for $64.99 includes the tumbler, rotary media separator, bucket, media, and case polish. It holds 600 9mm cases or 360 .223 cases. Item # 414369

I got just the tumbler from Walmart for around $35 about 5-6 months ago. It is a pretty quiet unit.

I just checked it's $36.62.

newmexkid,
If you got the Thumler's tumbler for $36.00, you got an excellent deal !! They are going for way more than that anywhere I have looked.

It gets lots of good reviews however i don't have one. I have this case cleaner and it is great !! About the same price as the one your looking at. The Dillon is quiet to if that matters.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/c...8/Dillon__039_s_CV_750_Vibratory_Case_Cleaner

I guess I'm curious whether these tumblers are "better" than (let's say) the Franklin Arsenal one that's mentioned on here for $65? I mean, does it do a better job cleaning, is it faster, does it use media that others don't? What is the justification for the additional cost??

I use the rotary tumbler from Thumler's, with stainless steel media in water. Spotlessly clean inside and out. Worth every penny. Check out the article here about SS cleaning media.

I had a cheaper tumbler and it worked but was noisy. I run it in the basement and It drove my wife nuts. The Dillon does a better job with the same media and is about 1/4 as loud. I use crushed treated walnut and it cleans cases excellent.

For 160 bucks you can get an FA wet media (stainless steel pin) rotary tumbler that will do a better, quicker and less messy job than ANY dry media tumbler can ever hope to do and unlike dry media, you'll never clean a primer pocket again...ever.

No Brainer. In fact, if I hadn't given my dry vibrator tumbler away, I'd give it away on here... IMO, completely useless compared to wet media.

Im in the market for a case tumbler and I'm wondering if there's a real reason to spend the money ($167) to buy a Thumler tumbler; or whether I'll do just as well with something much cheaper like a Lyman (or similar) tumbler that's 1/2 the price. I'm all about buying quality equipment but you don't always 'get what you pay for' and I thought I'd ask y'all before I blow that much on a case cleaner.

Thumler's Tumbler Ultra-Vibe Case Tumbler 110 Volt

What do YOU think??

I had to go out gun room make sure my tumbler is same one that Midway has. I moved to Black Forest, Co 1993 it was 1995 or 1996 that I got Ultra-Vibe tumbler and it's been good tumbler and still going strong. Only thing I've done keep motor and fan clean and I forget how much I paid for it.

Well good luck

I suggest you buy a De-Capping only die to fit the cases you are going to be cleaning. This allows cleaning of primer pockets. and you have clean cases to run through the sizing die. Remember there is 4 tiers of case cleaning, Before you dive. (1.) A way to turn the case (Eletric Drill) and a wad of 0000 steel wool. (2.) Vibrating cleaner with Walnut Shells or Ground Corn Cob media with a bottle of polishing compound. You have to clean the primer pockets and it does not clean the case inside much. The compound will lock inside the case and you have to use a paper clip or such to get it out. (3.) The Ultrasonic Wet Clean with a chemical additive like Hornady or Lyman have. These clean the inside, outside and primer pockets, The cases are clean, but do not put a bright shine of Walnut Hull polish media. With this you have to rinse and dry cases before reloading. (4.) By using a liquid and stainless steel pin media it cleans cases, inside, outside and primer pockets, Gives the cases a good shine. But have to be dried also before use. I started with 1. Went to 2. with a Midway 1292 Viberator, early name of Frankford Arsenal today. Then 3. with a Lyman Ultra Sonic wet bath. After cases are Resized, trimmed and chamfered I run them in the Walnut Media to shine them up and make sure I did not miss any case lube. Good Luck and happy loading with the one you pick.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.