Case cleaner

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Firearrow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Firearrow

Firearrow Well-Known Member

Well time has come to get a new case cleaner. Was looking at the Ultra sonic or the SS wet tumbler deal. I was wonder what the pro's and con's are of both? Any input is great appreciated.

2. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

Cons: wet cases, and inside removal of carbon film.
    Pros: none

3. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

I am an old school dry tumbler, but I have been investigating my next system too. It wii be wet.

Based on what I have read, the SS tumbling is better than the sonic cleaners. Larger capacity, less maintainance, no special solution. I have also heard that the SS media does a more thorough job than sonic, but I have no hands-on experience. I'll bet you get some hands on advice, and I'll be tagging alongside...

4. cwinner

cwinner Well-Known Member

I bought an ultrasonic and have only used it once...not to impressed.

I'm much happier with the SS media, it does a much better job in my opinion. Go with the stainless , you'll be happy you did.

5. lovesomeshootin

lovesomeshootin Well-Known Member

I had a ultra sonic cleaner and that was a joke! I'm now using a tumblers tumbler with stainless steel media and I'll never change from that. It's amazing! No more cleaning primer pockets in a separate process because it will get that too. If someone wants more info or help and tips then send me a PM and we can talk.

6. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

I have a ultra sonic cleaner and it is terrible. I bought it for one reason, clean the primer pockets and it doesn't even come close. I think I have used it 5 times total. I bought 2 more dry tumblers and I am very happy. Do not waste your money on the sonic system, spend your money on a tumbler and stainless media. That is the only way to get the whole case clean, pockets and all...at least that is what I've heard.

7. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Mike...Lets add ultrasonic.... Fine for the missus's jewelry. Sucks on brass.

I have both, cob and stainless pins. If I have the time, I use the cob or walnut shells. If I'm in a hurry, the stainless pins...

8. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I see the contest for squeaky clean case insides as human snafu.

9. Firearrow

I have seen guys run the SS in there drum style tumblers, but it has had some form of solution. Usually warm water and a drop of Dawn soap. Can you run these style of cleaners dry with the SS.

10. Doublezranch

You can run ss pins in a vibratory type machine? Really?

11. Firearrow

I ment the cleaners that have the small drum that sits at 45 deg and rotates around.

12. Doublezranch

Ok. I was going to be sour if I could have been running ss media in my vibrating machines. Who knows, maybe I can?? I don't know...

13. Firearrow

You probably could, but you would need a lot of it. Just guessing though.

14. lovesomeshootin

lovesomeshootin Well-Known Member

You can't. It will screw up your machine. Solution for ss media machines like my tumblers tumbler is. COLD water, never warm or hot. 1-2 tablespoons of dawn and 1/4 teaspoon of lemi shine. Hot water and warm water will cause bad water spots.