Throating the 300 WSM for Hammers in a Tikka LA?

I fall in the camp of higher stability for hunting. There is a diff between ballistic stability and terminal stability. Higher stability will keep the bullet point on longer after impact than lower stability. The mono bullets are longer for their weight than lead bullets. I have come to believe that the Miller stability formula has a flaw in the fact that it does not take into account the material density. I try to set up my hunting rifles closer to an sg of 2.0. We see bc numbers higher with the higher stability as well. In setting up drops on 4 rifles this fall for our hunting, 3 of them needed a higher bc than we publish and one needed a lower than published bc. The 3 had higher stability factors and the one was running our min recommended twist.

The only down side that I see to running the faster 8" twist is you may encounter more torque on the rifle under recoil.

I would run the 8" twist but if you want to run 9" with the 181's you will be in great shape.

If you need any bullets for making a dummy let me know.

I fall in the camp of higher stability for hunting. There is a diff between ballistic stability and terminal stability. Higher stability will keep the bullet point on longer after impact than lower stability. The mono bullets are longer for their weight than lead bullets. I have come to believe that the Miller stability formula has a flaw in the fact that it does not take into account the material density. I try to set up my hunting rifles closer to an sg of 2.0. We see bc numbers higher with the higher stability as well. In setting up drops on 4 rifles this fall for our hunting, 3 of them needed a higher bc than we publish and one needed a lower than published bc. The 3 had higher stability factors and the one was running our min recommended twist.

The only down side that I see to running the faster 8" twist is you may encounter more torque on the rifle under recoil.

I would run the 8" twist but if you want to run 9" with the 181's you will be in great shape.

If you need any bullets for making a dummy let me know.
That was SUPER helpful, and reassuring!
Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts