300 wsm throat length

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by rcreup, Jun 17, 2006.

1. rcreup

rcreup New Member

I just purchased a tikka lite in 300 wsm and measured my maximum overall bullet length w a stoney creek tool, and found the oal to the ogive is 2.410. My previous 300 wsm weatherby vanguard was 2.266 to the ogive. This seems to be a huge difference. A random check of 4 different factory loads revealled a range of 2.193 to 2.219 base to ogive. Could this be a factory error, or just the way the Finnish make a gun? I have yet to shoot the gun. A bullet jump of 0.283 seems would seem to portend poor accuracy. Any thoughts/opinions?

2. NorthernSniper

NorthernSniper Well-Known Member

My son bought a Tikka 300WSM and I bought a Sako Finnlite 300WSM they both have a huge jump to the lands and neither shoot worth s##t. The Tikka will shoot quite well if you get close to the lands but then you cannot feed from the magazine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This is why I have come to the conclusion you are better off building a rifle your self from scratch. I believe what Sako/Tikka is doing is using a 30 cal. barrel made for another caliber with a longer case and just reaming it to 300WSM and leaving the free bore that would not be there if it was reamed to say 300WM. I am going to throw a bunch more money at this after hunting season and rebarrel.