Thoughts on antler restrictions

Many counties in Missouri have a point restriction on whitetails. The county I hunt the most has a restriction that states there has to be at least 4 points on one side. That means there could be 4 on one side and none on the other too.

I think there's positives and negatives to it. On one hand, it allows more bucks the chance to mature, and on the other hand, it allows for "bad" genetics to spread by not being able to cull the lesser quality ones out.

During the youth hunting portion though, there is no point restriction. I do appreciate that, as it gives the kids more opportunities and can make their own decisions.

Id personally rather see them open regulations on predator control. Let us run hounds on cats and bears and put all the wolfs into extinction. That being said id like to see cow and doe tags get limited little more while putting in 4 point or better for deer and 5 point for elk. Now mot everywhere I understand midwest and east have abundance of whitetail but mule deer dont behave the same way. They sure dont breed as well either.

I believe it good in some areas and not in some areas. I believe you hunt in 1A our family farm is in 2A. We have the same restrictions.
What I would like to see is, every few years to change it back and forth. IMO.
Yes I am in 1A. Interesting about changing it every few years. I would think that maybe putting in for a cull buck tag would work well. As mentioned many times above the big mature illegal bucks get a pass and continue to breed. I have been seeing multiple mature bucks sporting 4 and 6 point racks and last year a spike that had a 20" spread and would have shot any of them but couldn't legally.

There have been some interesting studies on doe condition during pregnancy. Essentially, is she's malnourished or stunted, her baby buck fawn will never be a big buck. All genetics aside. I'm SURE there is a lot to discuss and for them to study about that topic still, but essentially the take away is that all my life I've heard talk about "genetics" being the key to big whitetails, when in fact it has (probably& potentially) a lot more to do with general habitat quality being able to provide enough nutrition to the mother when she is pregnant.

Just another thing to consider when talking about scrub bucks reproducing. I'm not saying that every buck fawn has the potential to be a B&C buck, but the evidence suggests that good quality habitats may be more important than genetics, speaking in a very broad manner.

There have been some interesting studies on doe condition during pregnancy. Essentially, is she's malnourished or stunted, her baby buck fawn will never be a big buck. All genetics aside. I'm SURE there is a lot to discuss and for them to study about that topic still, but essentially the take away is that all my life I've heard talk about "genetics" being the key to big whitetails, when in fact it has (probably& potentially) a lot more to do with general habitat quality being able to provide enough nutrition to the mother when she is pregnant.

Just another thing to consider when talking about scrub bucks reproducing. I'm not saying that every buck fawn has the potential to be a B&C buck, but the evidence suggests that good quality habitats may be more important than genetics, speaking in a very broad manner.
Now this is what is important ☝️

I get flamed for having feeders, but what most don't understand is my true huge bucks will never come close to the feeder during the day light. However my young bucks and does and fawns do, I try to feed the small deer and does all year to give them a chance to put on weight and be healthier. Also planting good plots that are in route to and from the AG fields and bedding areas

Antler restrictions have definitely improved the buck age. We are seeing more big bucks than we ever have. Hopefully the herd ratios are more even now,

It definitely helps manage deer populations in areas that were prone to over harvest of buck deer and under harvest of does.

it allows more bucks the chance to mature
In my opinion these are all the good things about antler restrictions and who wouldn't agree that these are good for the herd and hunter?

I use to have trophy elk and deer out my back door, until wolfs took hold.I can't hardly find a track local.Never saw a bull rifle, and only a few mature rat deer, while muley hunting.Im a self regulated hunter for mature animal.But last 2 seasons, In need of meat. I might have to do a shoulder hunt.200 miles on my feet, 1000,s driving and 49 days.I did pass a weird bull archery And they closed the start date of wolf trapping in MT,not sure how that sits currently.I was in wolf sign everywhere I went

I hunt public for the fun and adventure of it, and am fortunate enough to have access to private land for when I need meat. Our game lands here are a TOUGH hunt, I feel. I've only been utilizing them for a few years, and only about a day or two at most during rifle season. I did manage to tag out on an antlerless deer last year on the season opener. And got a 75 lb bear on game lands last year as well, two firsts for me (deer and bear on public land).

Hunting public ground really makes me think of myself as not as an accomplished hunter as I maybe thought previously.

I think some restrictions are working. Although you could not see this by my success rate this year. ☹️ I hunt public WMA land now. 4 on one side and 15" spread.
This is the first time I've heard of point restrictions combined with spread.
This could be challenging to confirm even for a experienced hunter during rifle season let alone a rookie.

Every area and every state is different.
What works for one will not work for others. Hunters can be another thread,
Lack thereof. There is a steady decline in hunting and hunters. When I was younger hunting with my dad, grandfather and brothers, you would see other hunters all day. The last 2 weeks hunting with one of my brothers, we have not seen anyone else hunting. The deer I harvest this year with my bow, 51/2 years old 6 point 20" inside spread, only a 6.

Attachments

• 20231105_144159.jpg
    20231105_144159.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 36
I use to have trophy elk and deer out my back door, until wolfs took hold.I can't hardly find a track local.Never saw a bull rifle, and only a few mature rat deer, while muley hunting.Im a self regulated hunter for mature animal.But last 2 seasons, In need of meat. I might have to do a shoulder hunt.200 miles on my feet, 1000,s driving and 49 days.I did pass a weird bull archery And they closed the start date of wolf trapping in MT,not sure how that sits currently.I was in wolf sign everywhere I went
I wonder what wolf tastes like?😁