Thoughts and input

CanadianHunter

Debating between a Mossberg MVP precision and a Savage Axis ii precision. I'll be going .308, from what I've read Mossberg quality has been on a steady decline and Savage has been getting better and better. Watched reviews for both but there's nothing I could find that compares those 2 guns against each other. I'll be using this at the range as well as for hunting both.

I would go with the Savage Axis II because you can adjust the trigger and get it where you want or work on the spring a little. Plus on all the Savage's that I got they all have a tighter chamber which is great to me for reloading. I had a Mossberg 308 and sold to get a Axis HP II 270 win. For a $300 rifle it shoots great.

Every recent savage within the last 15 years shoots way better than it should. That being said, if I'm being honest, pulling them out of the box can be a wth moment. I literally took a razor knife to the stock on a cheapo 12fv and sliced it away from the barrel lol. I never ran factory through it but it is/was a lazor beam. I bought a chassis and switched it to a 22 creedmoor but the barrel is still in the drawer and won't hesitate to screw it back on and put that nasty stock back on just for shooting against friends for the reaction

A friend bought the Mosberg for his daughter, we tried a good number of handloads but it didn't help much. The Savage barrels are superior. I've seen factory stock Savages shoot in matches and do very well.

Last edited:
I picked up the cheapest Savage I could find - without the accu trigger and installed a Mcabo trigger spring. This 6.5 Creedmore prints under .75 MOA with moderate and light loads. I'm experimenting with different bullets, and powders and seating depth in an attempt to gain the last 100 fps for my hunting loads. So far this $300 rifle performs as well as my customs costing 20 times as much.

Here's 200 yard groups from the cheapo 6.5 12fv after I bolted it into the chassis to make sure it still shot good before I swapped barrels. They go on sale and a rebate once a year at cabelas.

Attachments

• FD7DA123-0E9D-4A5E-A3E8-37BA14FF2840.jpeg
    FD7DA123-0E9D-4A5E-A3E8-37BA14FF2840.jpeg
    866.1 KB · Views: 101
I took off the Weaver scope and replaced it with a Leupold and actually my groups have slightly increased in size after that. LOL My only complaint was that the rifle and scope were not bore sighted as advertised. It was almost 1 ft off at 50 yds. I bought my Savage at Cabelas

I bought my 12fv so I could build off of the action. But you know, wth, let's see how it shoots. Never again. Tear it apart otherwise if it shoots like mine did, you really become undecided. I'm sure not every savage out of the box is a tack driver, I just haven't seen one that with handloads and stock work that shoots better than it should for its price. Although I've noticed they're prices have climbed up a lot lately

I have a 300 yard range here at home with options to go further. Family and friends show up to shoot or tune up.
I have been unimpressed with Mossberg rifles. Lots of great ideas. Wanted to like them. I think the best one I have seen here was 1.5 " MOA. Just don't shoot and very little aftermarket parts.
Savage are usually relatively good. Parts and aftermarket are available to tinker. I used to be a huge Savage supporter.

Biggest surprise for us, TC Compass. A couple of places blew them out at $200-300 a couple of years ago. Every one of them here shot good to outstanding. No aftermarket support however so limited on stocks, triggers, scope mounts, barrels.

Just my opinion, the differences between the three was the quality of the barrels.

My neighbor has a Mossberg 22-250 and he loves it. but for some reason the Mossberg 308 win seem to have some accuracy issues. I think I'd go with an older Savage, it would be a good base for a build.

Got my First savage ever last Year. In 308. I'm using for "Score Shooting" at the bench Rest matches. 36 X Sightron on it for paper shooting. Out of the box accuracy was surprisingly great!!! Only adjusted the trigger, and made some 110 and 115 grn loads. Shoots very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_18133 shots 308 .157 .JPG
    IMG_18133 shots 308 .157 .JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1681.JPG
    IMG_1681.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 83