Barrel input

GetReel

I'm looking to rebarrel my rifle (it looks like it wont sell for what I'm wanting for it.
Current rifle (Christensen ELR 300WM) has a 26" CF with a muzzle diameter of about .875" (my calipers are in a moving box and I can't find at the moment so I'm seeing just over 7/8" on a tape measure). I'm looking to make sure I fill the barrel channel in the stock so I need an appropriate barrel profile.
I'm looking at a Bartlien "straight taper/match" profile in the #8 Lt Varmint 9 Twist.
I will be having it cut down to 22" finish length (will be running an suppressor) and chambered to 30 Nosler throated for 215 Hybrids. Material will be cut off both sides of the blank and I'll have it spiral fluted to cut more weight.
With an approximate 6.8# blank, getting cut down and fluted. What would I be looking at for a finish weight do you think?

Also open to other suggestions.

Attachments

• 944123E7-2E9C-4188-8C8A-2812749E2780.jpeg
    944123E7-2E9C-4188-8C8A-2812749E2780.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 46
  • B8E617D5-C711-4DFC-B44D-2656BFEA8BB6.jpeg
    B8E617D5-C711-4DFC-B44D-2656BFEA8BB6.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 2D331EDD-CC86-43B4-B4AC-4D6ED20BEC4F.jpeg
    2D331EDD-CC86-43B4-B4AC-4D6ED20BEC4F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 48
I will be having it cut down to 22" finish length (will be running an suppressor) and chambered to 30 Nosler throated for 215 Hybrids. Material will be cut off both sides of the blank and I'll have it spiral fluted to cut more weight.

1678967602950.png

With this contour you have already achieved your weight savings without all the cutting and fluting. This does not include the shorter 22" length you want. You can also turn the tenon diameter down to 1.200" diameter.

I've used dozens and dozens of this contour from Bartlein with the only change being that I had the tenon length increased to 3" for longer cartridges.

Enjoy the process!

:)

View attachment 447821

With this contour you have already achieved your weight savings without all the cutting and fluting. This does not include the shorter 22" length you want. You can also turn the tenon diameter down to 1.200" diameter.

I've used dozens and dozens of this contour from Bartlein with the only change being that I had the tenon length increased to 3" for longer cartridges.

Enjoy the process!

I was looking at this one on Bugholes and spoke with the guy there but after i got home and measured, I noticed my barrel is a larger profile now than that one.
I just don't want huge gaps between the barrel and stock and look goofy. Maybe it wont be as bad as I'm envisioning. 🤷‍♂️

The barrel you show us in the photograph appears to be a 'Sendero' style and shape, I can't say for sure because of the photo. Your barrel may be slightly larger than Rem. Varmint/Sendero from Bartlein.

Your sensitivity to looks will have to guide you in this pursuit since we can't be the absolute judge without measuring it ourselves. Measure your barrel at the relevant positions and include the taper section held by the forearm.

If you need it to be an exact copy of your barrel, remove it and send it off to the barrel maker to duplicate. Otherwise you're left with measuring and comparing.

If the 30 Nosler is your choice for either of these rifles, please consider finding and buying Peterson or ADG brass for your reloading. The Nosler brass is not up to the quality of these two manufacturers.

Following as I am considering 30N build. Are you targeting a weight range?
I'm not hard pressed for any certain weight range but, targeting 8lb rifle (before optic and suppressor).

If the 30 Nosler is your choice for either of these rifles, please consider finding and buying Peterson or ADG brass for your reloading. The Nosler brass is not up to the quality of these two manufacturers.

I have 100pc of ADG brass coming and dies. I'll have my GS throat the chamber for 215 Hybrids.

Recent Posts