Input needed

DartonJager

Now that I discovered a 700 yard range under 2 hours 1 way from my home, would like to start shooting at longer ranges. Although I have quite a few HP rifles, none I feel are best suited for HIGH volume round count long range shooting either from a stand point of economics or practicality as they are all higher recoiling magnums.

Cabela's has Savage plastic stocked 12FV's (heavy barreled varmint) on sale for $369.00 was thinking of buying one in .308 Winchester as a starter mid range rifle. I can always upgrade the rifle to a better stock if I so choose.

Have been looking for an affordable mid range fun rifle for some time and this Savage is by far the best deal I've seen so far. The sub $400 OTD price will leave me enough funds for dies and at least part of the $$$ for decent optics.

Would like some input if the 12FV is a good choice as a starter mid range target rifle that will be my platform to develop my mid range shooting skills with. Bottom line is at this point I simply can not afford much more for a rifle and are trying to get started as reasonably as I can.

Thanks,
DJager/Art.

What are your current rifles and calibers?? Might be better suited to install a Muzzlebrake on one of your current rifles and use the additional funds for more bullets and practice time.

The Savage 12V should be more then adequate for what you would like to do. My son in law has been using a Savage 12V in 223 for competition, 200/300 yard eggshoots and does well with it. Consistently shoots .5MOA with handloads. He eventually replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock. Just keep in mind that it's a very heavy rifle, not intended for much carry. Between the two, I would choose the Savage over the Winchester from an accuracy standpoint.

The Savage 12V should be more then adequate for what you would like to do. My son in law has been using a Savage 12V in 223 for competition, 200/300 yard eggshoots and does well with it. Consistently shoots .5MOA with handloads. He eventually replaced the plastic stock with a Boyd's laminated thumbhole stock. Just keep in mind that it's a very heavy rifle, not intended for much carry. Between the two, I would choose the Savage over the Winchester from an accuracy standpoint.

Thank you for the input and pointing out the weight of the rifle, which I am aware of. The weight is one of the factors that attracted me to the rifle to begin with considering my choice of .308 Winchester.

Cahunter,
I did seriously consider using one of the rifles I already own, but I can get roughly 1 and half times as many .308 Winchesters reloads as I can 338wm, 7mmstw's and when you consider factors such as cost, recoil and all around firearm simplicity I feel I would be better served with a new rifle costing under $400 OTD. My 338 WM is a wonderfully accurate rifle with affordable cup and core bullets, but even though I am VERY tolerant of recoil, the reality is I doubt I will be able to shoot per range session anywhere near as many 338WMs's as I could 308 Winchesters before recoil even for me began to be a factor. The muzzle brake is also a good idea but again having one installed on a .308 will IMHO serve me better than one on installed on any of my magnums.

The Savage will be a good choice. Is that model available in 6.5 Creedmoor? That would be a good round for what you intend as well. As you are working on a budget, you may want to take a look at the SWFA 12X with the MilQuad reticle. You can get one for around $300.00 and the glass in them is better than the price indicates.

Of course, you can watch the classifieds here and pick up a used scope at a good price from time to time. If you want to spend a bit more, I can highly recommend the Burris XTR II line of scopes.

You will enjoy shooting at longer ranges. Before long, you will be looking for a 1000 yd range.

Just my 2¢,

The Savage will be a good choice. Is that model available in 6.5 Creedmoor? That would be a good round for what you intend as well. As you are working on a budget, you may want to take a look at the SWFA 12X with the MilQuad reticle. You can get one for around $300.00 and the glass in them is better than the price indicates.

Of course, you can watch the classifieds here and pick up a used scope at a good price from time to time. If you want to spend a bit more, I can highly recommend the Burris XTR II line of scopes.

You will enjoy shooting at longer ranges. Before long, you will be looking for a 1000 yd range.

Just my 2¢,

That's what I'm afraid of because it seams shooting at 1000yds = 1000's of $$$$.

No unfortunately it's not available in 6.5 Creed, wish it was available in 7mm/08
but to my knowledge it's only available in 308, 22-250, and 204 Ruger.

At some point in the likely (unfortunate) distant future I will be investing in full competent long range rig, but for now I am limited to what common sense allows me to spend.

My practice rifle is chambered in 308 and does everything I want to keep me sharp (subjective comment).

I can go through a bunch of firings and feel that it does not break the bank. In addition, components are easy to come by and recoil is not a factor.

Savage is one of the better factory products and I would not hesitate to purchase. I have a 6.5 Creed in a Savage and it is an incredible shooter with both factory and hand loads.

Now that I discovered a 700 yard range under 2 hours 1 way from my home, would like to start shooting at longer ranges. Although I have quite a few HP rifles, none I feel are best suited for HIGH volume round count long range shooting either from a stand point of economics or practicality as they are all higher recoiling magnums.

Cabela's has Savage plastic stocked 12FV's (heavy barreled varmint) on sale for $369.00 was thinking of buying one in .308 Winchester as a starter mid range rifle. I can always upgrade the rifle to a better stock if I so choose.

Have been looking for an affordable mid range fun rifle for some time and this Savage is by far the best deal I've seen so far. The sub $400 OTD price will leave me enough funds for dies and at least part of the $$$ for decent optics.

Would like some input if the 12FV is a good choice as a starter mid range target rifle that will be my platform to develop my mid range shooting skills with. Bottom line is at this point I simply can not afford much more for a rifle and are trying to get started as reasonably as I can.

Thanks,
DJager/Art.

Heck, for that price I'd get two! :cool:

A buddy has one and is and is <1 MOA using factory ammo at 300 yards out of the box ... and he's just breaking it in. :):Dgun)

Savage simply ROCKS!

Shooting longer range does not have to be expensive. I have a Savage 110. I took the 7 Rem Mag barrel off and installed a Criterion 6.5x47 Lapua (about $400.00 with the recoil lug & barrel nut). This is a very nice shooting rig. I did put a Burris XTR II 4-20x50 scope on it, but could have gone with a less expensive scope. Total investment in rig is still well under $2000.00, and I actually have 2 rifles. I can put the 7 Rem Mag barrel back on for hunting if I want. I was shooting to 1100 yds with it a couple weeks ago. I hit a ground hog steel plate (about 4" wide) at 660 yds on the first round (not my first shot of the day and I was getting better at reading the wind). You have a lot of options on the scope. You may have one already that would work.

Of course, you can shoot the stock Savage in .308 well past 1000 yds as well.

If you keep checking the pawn shops and gun stores around you, you can probably pick up a used Savage 10 or 110 for under $300.00. Then you can shoot it as is until you save up to trick it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.