Hart Barrels - I need your input

trebark

I recently discovered this forum. I've been reading it ravenously. I've learned quite a bit in a short amount of time. From the things I've read, there are a great many people on this board that offer good advice. So here's my current issue....

I have a Remington 700 ADL in stainless steel. The gun is about 15 years old and has the original plastic stock on it and the original 22" barrel that's about as skinny as a whip. The gun has never produced accuracy that I've been happy with. Sometimes it would shoot ok, then in the next session the POI would move and if I shot the gun long enough in one session, the shot group would "walk"

Since the base action is a good platform, I've decided to work this gun over. I've had a gunsmith work-over the trigger so that it performs the way I like. I've ordered an H-S Precision stock. Once I have it and install the action, I'll do some more testing. Unless the gun suddenly starts performing superbly, I'd like to rebarrel the gun with a heavier 24" barrel in the hopes of improving accuracy and improving ballistic performance of the ammunition.

Here's my question....Hart barrels...can anyone provide a reference for them? I've read some good things about them and looking at their web site, they seem to have a pretty good deal. It entails rebarreling the action (with a contour of my choice), chamber, lap the lugs, square the action, crown, and contour. All that for $600. What do you think of that? Seems like a pretty comprehensive job. Is there something I've missed? Is there another company I should consider? and if so, why?

As a final note, my intent with the gun is to hunt whitetails. Shots will range from up close and personal to 500yds. Of course, you might be able to tell from my 'handle' the caliber will be .280Rem

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Just a Thought

280fan,
I had another barrel maker do the same thing and here is my problem. IF they are going to do the bedding as well to the new stock then go for it. If you are going to take the barreled action they just finished and have another gunsmith do the final bedding I would say no!

If the gun dose not shoot to what you are expecting who do you call to fix it? IS it the bedding or the barrel chambering job? You have a possibility of finger pointing.

IMHO..read soem more and contact one of the gunsmiths on this board. send the gun to them and have them order the barrel blank and do all the work. They will not let it leave the shop without it shooting to there high standards!!

I am in the middle of this problem right now and am looking at eating a $600.00 chambering/truing job. It dose not shoot like I expect it to and have no where to turn.

I have a rifle at Bansner Rifle in PA right now for a new stock and bedding. I decided to have it all done by one place so if there was a problem the finger would only point in one direction. I know they will do a great job. My point is (IMHO) I think you should have one place do the stock and bedding so you eliminate problems. Just my $.02

Hart barrels are of the finest quality IMO. I burned one out in a .30 Mag had it replaced last year. The new one is even better than the old one and that old one was really a shooter. This new one is just unbelievable. One thing is the ease of cleaning the new one, this has to do the finish of the rifling I'm sure.

You won't go wrong going w/a Hart barrel!

Hart barrels are absolutey top notch and their work is also.

I doubt very seriously you would have an issue with them.

top notch accuracy testing will be NOT out of any gunsmiths shop as he is not going to spend the time working loads for that gun. He will test to ensure function and make sure that nothing is off kilter, but you are going to have to work accuracy loads up.

Interesting that the new 12 lb DARPA XM3 308 sniper rifle with 18" Hart is shooting rings around the 17 lb M40A3 and M24 much to the consternation of the Army and USMC over their guns developed in house. the Hart barrel is the only barrel they found that would do that. See Nov 07 Precision shooting for the article.

BH

Last edited:
Yeah, I have had 2 Hart hvy barreled rifles, a 7mm-08 and a .30 x .378. Both out shoot me. I don't hesitate to use their barrels.

I don't usually shoot a custom rifle at all. The owners normally want to break in their barrel. I do keep in touch with them to be sure that they are satisfied, though. I agree with Bounty Hunter, very few people are able to pay for the bench time and range time to do load development for them, and most 'smiths don't have the time themselves to provide the service. However, if a customer is not able to make a rifle shoot, then you would have to take it back and make the time. You can't stand to have a rifle out there that won't shoot, no matter what the reason is.

Choose your stock carefully. The finest metal work can't deliver in a crappy stock.

Good shooting, Tom

I just took a daytrip up to Harts shop in Nescopek and was impressed with how I was treated. I was going to get some work done on a rifle and had about 200 questions to ask that were patiently answered and was given some much appreciated advice. I left with the feeling that they didn't want to do work that they couldn't stand behind and they valued their reputation. Does that $600 price include the cost of the barrel?

I dont think Hart barrells and RW Hart from Nescopeck Pa is the same company, he does use mostly hart barells. Bob Hart is a top notch guy, I actually have a gun on order from him right now.

Travis

Hart makes great barrles. You can't go wrong with either of the top barrel makers; Krieger, Hart, Lilja, ect.

Rebuilt my 40xb remington 300wm in a Mcmillian A-5 sniper stock. Rifle was built by Clarience Hammonds. Two weeks later won the Allegheny sniper challenge. Won it again that fall. Will shoot one holes all day if I do my job.
Building a 338 RUM now.
Nuff said.

Hart Barrels are one of the top companies out there! You wont go wrong with them.

Dave
i second that. i have one hart and 4 kriegers. you will like it . wish i had a good barrel years ago. with a good scope and load shots up to 600 should be no problem

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.