Thinking of moving out west

florida boy

I have been thinking about this for 4 or 5 years since I hunted in Wyoming. I wanted to get some input from residents of various states, pros and cons. My biggest hurtle is convincing my wife but she seems to be warming up to the idea. I could retire in the next 4 years so having to have a good job is not a priority.
My choices so far are:
1. Wyoming
2. Colorado
3. northern New Mexico
4. South Dakota (black hills area)
5. Montana

Thanks for any input

I have been thinking about this for 4 or 5 years since I hunted in Wyoming. I wanted to get some input from residents of various states, pros and cons. My biggest hurtle is convincing my wife but she seems to be warming up to the idea. I could retire in the next 4 years so having to have a good job is not a priority.
My choices so far are:
1. Wyoming
2. Colorado
3. northern New Mexico
4. South Dakota (black hills area)
5. Montana

Thanks for any input

I asked the same question and looked into the same thing.

WY, SD and MT are very very cold.
CO is the new California.

NM is great. It is still free. Beautiful. Varied climate. Hunting is good. There is a containment area around Santa Fe (just kidding, I like Santa Fe).
Idaho is also great. I hope to spend quite a bit of time there this year.
Nebraska seems to have lots of potential.
Kansas, the Flint Hills.
Norther Arizona is fine. Anything north of and including Prescott Valley.

Utah just made up some PIA laws for me but other than that it's a fine place. Again varied climate. Free and beautiful.

With Florida in your background you may wish to consider the weather. Lots of Of the west can be cold at times. There are a few places where it is less so. Along the Clearwater river in N Idaho will be much more moderate than Casper Wy. A lot less wind too. Take a month or two in the winter and travel to some of the areas that you are considering. That will give you a better idea of what to expect. Bruce

Wyoming -
WINDY
Boom & Bust Economy
Drought Prone
Breezy
Dry
Cold
Snowy
Nine Month Winters
Gusty
Tourists ( Still can't understand why it's against the law to shoot them when there is a season)
Lack of Women
Roughnecks
Rednecks
Cowboys
Idiotic East & West Coast Refugees With Idiotic Ideas
Arctic Drafts
Basically, what I'm trying to say is, Wyoming sucks !!!!

Colorado and Montana are much better places to live.

Tex

Attachments

• wyoming_windsock.jpeg
    wyoming_windsock.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the replies! Wyoming suits me better politically. I'm kinda of a far right / libertarian type. Colorado has gone a little nutty lately. Weather wise I agree New Mexico would be good but I'm a little concerned about illegals. As I get older the summer heat and humidity in Florida is terrible.

I'm kinda of a far right / libertarian type. Colorado has gone a little nutty lately. Weather wise I agree New Mexico would be good but I'm a little concerned about illegals.

Kind of a far right libertarian type myself. Live in the Zuni Mountains of Western New Mexico. The "Land of Enchantment", has a lot wrong with it and a lot right with it. Santa Fe and Albuquerque are mostly where the Californicators and other liberal dweebs congregate but the rest of the state is pretty conservative. No problem with illegals much in New Mexico. Nothing to keep someone from moving here at all. Actually there are sort-of two New Mexico's....one north and south along the I-10 corridor is mostly desert basins nestled between mountain ranges...not much real winter. The other is north and south along the I-40 corridor. High mountains and plains with all the winter you want. I live at 7000' and 30 below is not unusual in winter.

Thanks for the replies! Wyoming suits me better politically. I'm kinda of a far right / libertarian type. Colorado has gone a little nutty lately. Weather wise I agree New Mexico would be good but I'm a little concerned about illegals. As I get older the summer heat and humidity in Florida is terrible.

I've hunted and spent weeks at a time in New Mexico over the past 15 years. The trendy areas are full of tourists and pricey. Other spots are great. If they have an illegal problem I've not seen it and living in Az I do know illegals. The most noticeable positive is the Hispanics in New Mexico are a 1000 times friendlier than here in Az except for Albuquerque which seems to have a chip on their shoulder. Like the hunting in the southern half and lots of antelope in the north east. Good luck on your retirement.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts