Thinking of 7mm RUM?

I will throw in a vote for the 300 RUM, the 7 is flat and fast, but you are trading it off with a little less barrel life. I use a Holland brake on mine and my 9 year old son says he likes shooting it better than his 243. If i put a nice recoil pad on his 243 like the one on my 300 he would probably change his tune, his is just an original stock with the hard plastic butt on it. Still the 300 doesn't hardly rock him back at all.

After running some numbers and pushing what i would guess it a really hot load out of the 7RUM it was only 2-3 MOA difference at 1000 yards. Not much in the big scheme of things. Correct me if i am wrong on the difference, i have never owned or tested the 7Rum just ran some numbers with some claimed velocities i have seen posted about them.

I will throw in a vote for the 300 RUM, the 7 is flat and fast, but you are trading it off with a little less barrel life. I use a Holland brake on mine and my 9 year old son says he likes shooting it better than his 243. If i put a nice recoil pad on his 243 like the one on my 300 he would probably change his tune, his is just an original stock with the hard plastic butt on it. Still the 300 doesn't hardly rock him back at all.

After running some numbers and pushing what i would guess it a really hot load out of the 7RUM it was only 2-3 MOA difference at 1000 yards. Not much in the big scheme of things. Correct me if i am wrong on the difference, i have never owned or tested the 7Rum just ran some numbers with some claimed velocities i have seen posted about them.

Key word being 'little' and even then I wouldn't guess by more than a few rounds less. All RUMs are going to burn the barrels. The other option is the 7mm SAUM

The biggest caliber I currently own is a 6MM Remington and I am thinking of buying a 7 RUM. Looking for opinions on this caliber. Specifically the Remington LSS in left hand. I would be shooting it with the factory tube for the first while, then the plan would be to replace with a 28" match grade barrel and have the action trued. Living in Alberta I can hunt everything from Antelope to Moose and I think the .284 would get it done on all species here. What is the recoil like on the 7mm RUM as compared to a 7mm Rem mag? I would probably have a brake installed once I re-barrel. Or should I step up to the 300 RUM or the 338 RUM. Are any of the RUM's inherently more accurate than the others? I would assume that the 7mm would hold a slight accuracy advantage?

On a side-note the guns that I currently own (6MM Rem &6BR) are both tight neck/chamber. Always seeking as much accuracy as I can achieve do you neck turn/tight neck on these big calibers?

Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Andy:

I currently own 7mm RUM in LSS left handed, I live in Australia and shoot mainly Scrub bulls, Camels, Donkeys, Wild Brumbies (Horese) and Deer with it

Love the caliber, shoots well under MOA and the recoil in this particular rifle is very easy to handle.
Little to say sighting it in off the bench is not a task i enjoy, but in the field use is very easy to handle.

My current load is a Barnes Tiped TSX in 150 grains pushed by 95.5 grains of AR2225.

I also load Nozler 140 grain Ballistic Tips with 97.5 grains AR2217 for use on wild Dogs, Pigs etc.

I have ordered a 338 RUM North American from the custom shop in Left Handed and am Looking forward to working up a load for it and giving it a run on Northern Territory Bullalo later this year.

I shoot a 7mm RUM Sendero SF (got it just this last spring) with a Pachmyer WhiteLine recoil pad. What makes a huge difference is the mercury recoil tube in the stock. It has less felt recoil than my 30.06 shooting Barnes 180s. I would recommend the mercury tube over getting a muzzle break - it adds weight, but, you don't require hearing protection when hunting. I'm not sure, but, you might be able to fit a couple of mercury tubes in a stock for even less felt recoil.

I shoot 180 grain Berger 180 VLD
Hodgdon Retumbo 91 grains
CCI 250
C.O.A.L 3.665
Velocity 3145

QUOTE]

HolyS....Berger sent me a load of 82-86G on that load. I get 2970 out of 85.5G Retumbo. That is a full 5 Gs over max on a huge overbore. How is your life insurance?

I've been pretty critical of the 7 RUM here, and it's just because I didn't know what I was getting into. I burned out a 7 RUM. Sort of a long story and with what I know now I'd do things a lot different. I bought a 700 CDL in 7mm RUM, thinking this was going to be my "long range rifle". Then I found longrangehunting.com when I was trying desperately to get it to shoot with any accuracy. I pillar bedded it, did some trigger work, and tinkered with the load a bit. My barrel liked the 160gr Accubonds behind 92grs of Retumbo. I was able to shoot a .3 inch group at 100yards, and I killed a nice antelope buck at something just over 500 yards.

Then I tried to get the Bergers to shoot, both the 168gr and 180gr. Did a bunch of ladder test, with no luck. A nice guy at Berger told me that it was most likely that the bbl on the Remington was not twisted tight enough for either bullet. Went back to the accubonds and by that time my groups opened up to 4 inches or more. That was at about the 450 round mark, I think, I didn't keep copious notes. I was extremely disappointed, in any case. I cleaned after every 5 - 10 rounds, I found that the groups opened up substantially if I didn't. I tried to not heat the bbl up too much, and I never put it away dry.

I bought a bbl vice and action wrench and pulled the bbl. It's going to become a .375 RUM. After the 7 I'm all about bbl life, and it just seems to me that when you push bullets up past 3000fps bbl life suffers.

People talk about how flat shooting the 7 is, and yes that's true, but this is long range shooting. I ignorantly chased the flat shooting fallacy. We should all be able to work a rifle, with good bullets, regardless of the "flatness" of a trajectory. I don't see where, for instance, military shooters are shooting the flattest round out there.

If you want a 7 RUM make sure you do your homework. If I ever do another 7RUM I will buy a long bbl, twisted correctly, probably stainless, and possibly treated. I won't try to push 180 gr bullets faster than about 3200fps. I will expect that periodically that I will have to re-cut the crown, clean up the throat and set the bbl back.

Just my thoughts

Hicks

Airgunner7 -

You know, I've not had any issues with the rifle (outside of the factory-original trigger, which I replaced with a Jewel). The brass doesn't show signs of excess pressure, and it continues to shoot sub-MOA.

I was given that load by the guys at Best of the West when I ordered my Huskemaw scope, and now have my turret dialed in for that specific load. Shoots like a dream - I was able to take it out the first time after getting that scope on and nailed a half-MOA-sized rock at 960 yards (guessing rock was 4-6 inches across).

But, you asked about my life insurance - I don't intend for my wife to be able to cash in on that any time soon. The Hodgdon reloading table for Retumbo in 7MM RUM for a "175 GR. SFT SP" is "Retumbo 91.5 (grains) 3069 (fps) 63,400 PSI (CUP)" so I'm a half-grain of powder below for the extra 5 grains of bullet weight.

So am I burning up my barrel? Yup. Am I worried about that? Nope. Am I worried about it blowing up in my face? Nope.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a novice reloader, and we all have to start somewhere, but so far I've not seen anything that I'm worried about.

I see your thinking about the 91.5G/175Gbullet, I saw that too. I don't know if what the ratio needs to be but, it is 2.77% more bullet. 2.77% or less powder? Aprox 88.95 Max load?
I'd love to go that high but, I already have seen two faltened primers and I have not gone over 86.5. Maybe I'm a wuss or got a different lot of powder.

I own a Factory rem. sendaro in 7rum also. Leupold 6.5x20x50mm . I load the 150 grain swift scirocco with 99 grains of h-50bmg right now.
I was looking the my lyman i think its the 47th or 48th edition. I want to point out this so everyone else sees. The book has loads for "RX-25" Its RL-25. its a mistake.

Anyway. I am still working loads and seeing what works best. I dont use a chrono so Im going by the reload book. I am unsure of velocity. The book used the 150 grn scirocco - h-50bmg with 104.0 grains. This was compressed, max load and the accuracy load.
When testing loads what range are you starting at? I read the ladder test review on here, It said to start at 200 yards. I am trying to find a place to shoot from like 300-800 or more to work up these loads. Its hard working up any longrange load when im limited to 200 yards. I like the swift scirocco bullet. In the lyman book is says they got great results with h-50bmg. I like it so far. I am surpirsed more guys dont use it while loading this cartridge? As soon as i can find somewhere to practice shoot i will load up more 150g swifts and hit the range to test. My goal is to have a solid load and know my drop out past 1000.

Last edited:
I own a custom 7RUM. I am shooting the 180gn JLK's at 3250 with about .5MOA groups. As far as the barrel life goes... When I first built the rifle I was very concerned about the barrel life, I now have 580 rounds through the rifle and it looks perfict and still shoots perfict. I would hope to atleast get 1000 rnds through it but if not o well. Whats anouther barrel in the grand scheme of things.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts