Thinking of 7mm RUM?

Andy W

The biggest caliber I currently own is a 6MM Remington and I am thinking of buying a 7 RUM. Looking for opinions on this caliber. Specifically the Remington LSS in left hand. I would be shooting it with the factory tube for the first while, then the plan would be to replace with a 28" match grade barrel and have the action trued. Living in Alberta I can hunt everything from Antelope to Moose and I think the .284 would get it done on all species here. What is the recoil like on the 7mm RUM as compared to a 7mm Rem mag? I would probably have a brake installed once I re-barrel. Or should I step up to the 300 RUM or the 338 RUM. Are any of the RUM's inherently more accurate than the others? I would assume that the 7mm would hold a slight accuracy advantage?

On a side-note the guns that I currently own (6MM Rem &6BR) are both tight neck/chamber. Always seeking as much accuracy as I can achieve do you neck turn/tight neck on these big calibers?

Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Ok. I have a 7 rum mod 700 LSS and mod 700 BDL 300 rum. My handload for 7 rum is 150 partition at 3450 fps. My handload for the 300 is the 200 accubond at 3150 fps. These are the loads that I hunt with. Right now I have been looking for something different (re: more) out of the 7 with little success thus far (its still early in the process however). The 300 shoots 180s quite well at about 3350 fps also. The 7 recoils less in my opinion. Neither of my guns are muzzle braked. The 300 is more popular and hits quite hard. The 7 is a little bit of a stepchild with a few rumors of it being unpredictable and hard to load for. Maybe its a little persnickity at times. It has a little more appeal in that everyone don't own one and since your going to be rebarreling, with proper twist, throating etc. you can really realize this cartridge's true potential. either one will kill animals just fine. 28 in bbl will buy you more performance as well. Good luck with your choice. LOts of knowledgable people on here that may weigh in with opinions for you!

Have a7rum rem sendero(all factory. I'm loaded with 94.5 gr RL-25 with the 150 swift scirocco.If I remember right it's around 3300fps+-. Very accurate and awsome on game. Tried the reg BT first, NO GOOD. Have a rem bdl 300rum that I will start out shooting fac 180 scirocco's in, until I have a chance to play.
From a ballistic standing the 7rum outperforms a 300rum with 150gr or less bullets and the 300rum does better with the higher gr bullets. Love both cal., but if I had to choose just one it would be the 300rum. Look up the bal. on the 180 scirocco. Will be hard to beat them numbers. Still around 2150 ft lbs energy at 500 yrds, this with factory loads also. should get more with handloads
good luck DM

I have a 700 LSS left hand 7RUM (not for sale!). The recoil is noticeably sharper than the 7 Rem Mag. I also have a 338RUM for elk that is ported. It shoots .5 moa. I would say that any of the RUM's would work for you. I would definitely brake anything higher than the 7RUM in a sporter weight gun. I just picked up a Limbsaver pad for the 7RUM. Hopefully that will take the sting out of it. I never shot the 338RUM before having it ported, and didn't want to. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input guys. Still undecided but leaning towards the 300.

Any other ideas/opinions let me know!

Andy

If you've been shooting tight necked rifles you probably enjoy shooting. I do, my step son bought a 300 RUM and it out performs anything I've ever seen. Flatest shooting, hardest hitting gun ever. I wouldn't own one.. It kicks so hard my teeth are loose. Shooting from a bench and working up loads was pure hell. 101 grains of Retumbo with 180 grains Barnes TSX was awesome. We easily shot 4 inch groups at 400 yards. But you had to wipe the tears afterward. It's simply NO FUN TO SHOOT. Your call, but they were killing everything on the planet before that monster was invented... It's off getting a muzzle break now, but you will have to hunt with hearing protection.
Robbin

I was really considering the 7 RUM and decided to go the 7 WSM route. The difference for me was sticking with a packing weight gun and didn't want to brake it. I shoot a 300 RUM in a ruger #1 and it will probably always be my favorite hunting rifle but it's painful with a brake and no hearing protection. I have not shot a gun under 12lbs chambered in 300 RUM without a brake so maybe it's not that bad? I did shoot my 338/378 without a brake once and I know my pain threshold is WAY below that. I guess the point of that was do you want to shoot a brake or not? Do you hunt with hearing protection? Do you shoot well under heavy recoil? I figure if I am setting up for a real long shot I have the time for hearing protection, heavy guns and a break is good. If I am packing a gun through the trees and might get into a fast shooting situation I don't want a break. Sorry for rambling just something to possibly consider.

The biggest caliber I currently own is a 6MM Remington and I am thinking of buying a 7 RUM. Looking for opinions on this caliber. Specifically the Remington LSS in left hand. I would be shooting it with the factory tube for the first while, then the plan would be to replace with a 28" match grade barrel and have the action trued. Living in Alberta I can hunt everything from Antelope to Moose and I think the .284 would get it done on all species here. What is the recoil like on the 7mm RUM as compared to a 7mm Rem mag? I would probably have a brake installed once I re-barrel. Or should I step up to the 300 RUM or the 338 RUM. Are any of the RUM's inherently more accurate than the others? I would assume that the 7mm would hold a slight accuracy advantage?

On a side-note the guns that I currently own (6MM Rem &6BR) are both tight neck/chamber. Always seeking as much accuracy as I can achieve do you neck turn/tight neck on these big calibers?

Looking for opinions. Thanks!

Even though the 7 mm RUM is flatter shooting and does not need a muzzle break , for what
you will be using it for I would recomend the 300 RUM because it could use heaver bullets
for really big animals (Like Moose) and packs a punch.

I prefer not to use breaks and the 300 RUM I have does not have one (The 416 seems to
be my limit for a non braked rifle) but if you want one Have it installed.

I also have a 7mm RUM and I'm in the process of building one from the ground up for long
range hunting for deer I use the 140gr Accubond @ 3600ft/sec in a 26" barrel and it is
extremely flat shooting out past 1000 yards.

The one I am building will have a 30" #7 contour Lilja for some extra speed and less trajectory.

Both the 7 and the 300 have a reputation for short barrel life That is over stated and with
proper cleaning and under hunting conditions should last 1500 to 2000 rounds (A life time of
hunting).but any rifle that exceeds 3200 ft/sec will wear barrels faster than the ones that
are less than 3000. so I would not recomend ether calibre for varmint hunting on a regular
bases.

For the 300 rum I would recomend the 200gr Accubond or the 200gr Partition on the big
stuff and 165 to 180gr bullets for everything else.

For the 7mm RUM I would recomend the 140gr AB or the Partition , A 160gr accubond is a great
long range bullet for larger game (Like ELK).

Just my opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I shoot a 7mm RUM Sendero SF (got it just this last spring) with a Pachmyer WhiteLine recoil pad. What makes a huge difference is the mercury recoil tube in the stock. It has less felt recoil than my 30.06 shooting Barnes 180s. I would recommend the mercury tube over getting a muzzle break - it adds weight, but, you don't require hearing protection when hunting. I'm not sure, but, you might be able to fit a couple of mercury tubes in a stock for even less felt recoil.

I shoot 180 grain Berger 180 VLD
Hodgdon Retumbo 91 grains
CCI 250
C.O.A.L 3.665
Velocity 3145

I haven't used it yet on deer and elk, but it has been absolutely devastating on antelope thus far.

Also have a Huskemaw optics scope. Amazing piece of equipment.

i have a remington 700 sps started out as a 7mm mag and got it rechambered to a 7mm rum... very smart decision, my 160g. partitions not only haul *** out the barrel but the hold very good groups. after getting it back from the gunsmith i tried 98 grains of retumbo with a 160 part. and within ten shots was getting groups of 3//4 of an inch, all i can say is 3 shots at a time and let it cool down this caliber is an infamous barrel burner!

I currently have a 7mm RUM in LSS L/H (not for sale).
Love it.
Have used it to hunt Deer, Brumbies, Pigs, Goats etc.
Some Long Shots
Shooting 150g Barnes TTSX with AR2225 and 140g Nosler Balistic Tips with 97.5g AR2217.

Also have just ordered a 338 RUM from the custom shop Remington USA, L/H Stainless Steel, can't wait.

Love the Case

My two 7mm RUM's shot extremely good at long range for about 450 rounds. Then they didn't shoot so good any more. It is an extreme barrel burner. I like the 300 RUM much better. The barrels will last forever it seems on the 338 RUM and it is an excellent long range rifle. I own and have shot all three quite a bit and all are equally accurate.

When asked to choose between 7mm and 30 cal, I always choose 7mm. Much flatter shooting, and I already own a 338 for the long long range stuff. The 7mm is more versatile as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.