Thinking about building a 338 of some sort

When guys started making custom actions they had a monster to overcome, that being the Remington 700, the most popular action for custom builds

Disinformation and fear mongering allowed them to sell their custom actions that were no stronger and make bank ..,

There is no other excuse, just bs

It's hard to argue a case against a big 338. The ballistic profile of the 300 grain Berger is tough to beat, as is the down-range energy delivered. I shoot a 338 Lapua Improved (based off of Kirby's 338 Xpress design). I get very close to 3,000 fps with this bullet while burning 104 grains of powder. Such a combination is hard to beat unless you step up to larger case capacity such as the Cheytac offerings.

I have resisted the urge to build a .338 of some sort for several years, mainly because I just could not see the need. Now I have the bug. So, I am just getting started with the planning process. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Edge and RUM. Since I am not very familiar with either case, I don't know which would be best to build. I see that RUM brass seems to be a little more readily available. I will be building off a Rem 700 action, since I have one sitting here waiting. I want to build this as a hunting weight rifle. That being said, it will probably mostly be shot at the range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a couple .338 RUMs - had muzzle-brakes installed - and they shot good - but :D after shooting at the bench (10-rds.) , i got a bit of an affect - concussion from the blast! - 102-grains of Retumbo and a Nosler 210-gr. Partition shot sub-MOA (over 3,100-fps), but a regular .338 Winchester Magnum can do almost the same (3,000-fps) with less powder n blast! (with 70 or so grains). = I like the .338 WM instead! - No muzzle-brake needed.
I got rid of the RUMs.

And, my friend's cheap stock Mossberg .338 WM shoots about 1/2-inch groups!
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/mossberg/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/.338-winchester-magnum/

.338 WM ammo $1.46/rd. on up ... https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-winchester-magnum

.338 RUM ammo $1.94/rd. on up ... https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338rum

BOYD's Hardwood Stocks $147 on up ... Mossberg - Patriot - for Right or Left-hand.
Pick Color and Finish :D
https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

HORNADY .338 BULLETS
270-GR. ELD-X :D B.C. = .757
230-GR. ELD-X :D B.C. = .616
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018874583

MOSSBERG PATRIOT BOLTFACE
Mossberg_Patriot_American_Hunter_14.JPG

VIDEO

Last edited:
102-grains of Retumbo and a Nosler 210-gr. Partition shot sub-MOA (over 3,100-fps), but a regular .338 Winchester Magnum can do almost the same (3,000-fps) with less powder n blast!
That sounds like a slowish RUM load, maybe too slow a powder for that light a bullet. Run them at the same pressure and no way the WinMag can come close. Even greater difference as the bullet weight goes up.

I have resisted the urge to build a .338 of some sort for several years, mainly because I just could not see the need. Now I have the bug. So, I am just getting started with the planning process. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Edge and RUM. Since I am not very familiar with either case, I don't know which would be best to build. I see that RUM brass seems to be a little more readily available. I will be building off a Rem 700 action, since I have one sitting here waiting. I want to build this as a hunting weight rifle. That being said, it will probably mostly be shot at the range. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My son has the 338 lapua I load for. But immediately thinking of a 338 edge and a 338 remington build in the future. The lapua isn't that expensive after I got away from the lapua brass and went GWT brass at 1.20 a piece and the current batch is at its 10th reload.

Some of the members here built some nice 338 caliber rifles and shold steer your consideration the right way.

You can just let go and buy the 338 allen mag:)

I wish ADG would start making 33 nosler brass. I'd probably go that route

.....Not trying to start anything, sincere question.......

Actually I started it-again. Didn't intend to, but I was tired, hit the reply before thinking.

The discussion if the the Lapua based cartridges leave enough material after opening the bolt face gets passionate on both sides, and has more than one thread in the files. Hopefully I didn't derail the OP's thread, with an attempt at humor while tired.

Apologies to the OP.

I wish ADG would start making 33 nosler brass. I'd probably go that route

Just build a 33-28 Nosler using ADG brass. It gets really close to the capacity of a 338 Norma with a standard magnum bolt face and much shorter OAL compared to a Lapua, RUM, and Edge. It will be about 10grs less capacity then the Edge and Lapua which is about 100fps or less than 100yds of handicap.

I have one 338 LM assembled by Scott Weichel with Stiller TAC 338 action. Nice rifle, the Fat Bastard brake really tames the recoil.
With Sierra 250 grains, the group aren´t that good
Today I went to range( 100 meters) to test Sierra 300 grains projectiles that I bought.
I started load development with only 3 shots per charge, with 87/88/89 grains respectively.
After one shot to foul the barrel, I did the first test with 87 grains of powder and I barely believed it. . Three shots in a hole.

If I were in the market for an elk gun today, I would definitely go for the .338 RUM instead of the .338 WM I have. Or if I were to suddenly become rich, I suppose. I like my Ruger 77 and it shoots the 210 Partitions quite nicely, right at the 3000 mark. 250's shoot almost as well but I can't remember the fps off hand but I know the RUM beats it easily. I don't have brakes on any of my rifles but might consider it if that lottery thing were to come thru! In the mean time, I still tolerate the recoil so if an opportunity were to present itself... I think the only meat that might be better than elk would be moose and the .338 works well on them, too! Yum!
Cheers,
crkckr