Thinking about a .338 Edge build

codyadams

Thinking about building my first big boy long range elk rifle, and I'm pretty set on the .338 Edge, and will probably run the Berger 300 grain, and I'm thinking a 28" Sendero or similar contour. Probably Remington action. I want to keep the rifle weight around 10.5 lbs, not including scope. Bell and Carlson M40 style stock. Just got a couple questions.

For the 300 grain pills, @ 6,000-10,000 ft elevation, should I go with a 10 twist or like the 9.35 twist? I think the 10 would work but want to make sure.

What would be one of the better brakes to choose from? I will be shooting mostly prone, and don't want it to kick like a mule too bad and don't want to blow sand and dirt up all over everything.

Any other suggestions to help out with this build would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks all

I am going to build a EDGE this winter as my 300 RUM is basically shot out. First I would recommend that you have lots of brass on hand as it is hard to find. I think for a bullet I am going to try 285 ELD and 300 Berger. My Barrel is a Rock that will finish at 29" and I am going with a Terminator brake. My rifle will be heavy as the barrel is AMU contour and a heavy adjustable HS stock. I would think it will be in the 14-15 lb range.

I would suggest the faster twist barrel for more bullet versatility. I did a 9 twist on my 338 Lap imp. I should have gone with the Pain Killer brake. I decided to go with a different one that I had heard good things about. It was quickly available and $100 less. My rifle is not comfortable to shoot. Now I will be buying a PK and paying to have it installed again.

Steve

I got my 338 Edge back March of this year and it sounds almost exactly like what you are envisioning. All my specs are here

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/338-edge-168766/

I have settled on the 285 ELD-M and RL-33. This gun is scary accurate!!!

Like others have said brass is a limiting factor but if you can get a good supply no problems. I'm shooting Norma 300 RUM brass necked up.

About how many firings do you get out of brass, assuming they are not super hot loads?

I'm not the best guy for keeping track of how many times I've fired each piece. I do know that during load development when I was up in the 92-93 grain range with h1000 the pockets got loose fast. I chose 89.5gr mostly for brass life and it still gives me acceptable velocity for what I need 2780 fps.

One day I might play more with a bit hotter load but with the accuracy I'm getting Its hard to make the move.

Ya, at over $2 per piece, I would not want to be burning up brass after just 2 or so loadings ha ha. I wouldn't be shooting it a ton, probably just a few times a year before season stretching it out then hunt with it, as my .260 AI is my high volume shooter and what I stay in practice with, but I still would want to conserve brass as much as possible

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.