Thinking about building a light hunting rifle

I still think if your really shooting a long ways the bigguns just under Idaho legal will shoot better. The switch to lighter rifles is accepting the reality of where hunting is going as a whole. It's way easier to shoot a 10.5 pound rifle but way easier to pack a 6 lbd rifle. If long range is the only thing you do, your rifles should probably skew heavier. If long range is only an arrow in the quiver of tools, a lighter weight rifle with a fast twist, some long bullets and a bit hotter caliber will cover your bases.
This need to be remembered. I have shot mine out to 1300 but it is much more difficult than doing it with a 10lbs rig.

My local Scheels has a couple of Kimbers sitting in the used rack in 6.5CM I believe. They are around $800 but I dont believe they have ever been shot. Look like new. Way to light of a gun for me but would be a piece of cake to carry. Coralville, Ia.

From my research, the Kimber Hunter is hard to beat for cost. However, building a custom is much more fun. Sure it will cost 2x to 3x depending on the weight but the Hunters aren't ultralights. The cost really jumps if you are trying to get the rifle under 5.5 lbs. Also, with a custom, you wouldn't have to to cut down the barrel to make weight. Lots of configurations and options. If I were to drop $2k on a rifle, I'd seriously consider customization vs. a factory option. It is true that factory guns, even at the lower price points, are getting much better. Going custom gives me the confidence that I'll get what I'm paying for.

I would agree that custom is more engaging and fun to plan and ultimately should produce a rifle that will meet your desires. The fact remains there are so many options today in factory rifles and at a price point that can offer the common person more options than ever before. It is definitely interesting with the shift to lighter hunting rifles being desired vs the heavy tack drivers that are great for target work. My one and only true custom rifle is in the works. This was a bucket list thing for me. I will continue to try different factory options and fulfill some of the more immediate gratification desires going forward. I have had Kimber 1911's in the past and really want to try one of their rifles. Best of success with finding the right rig to scratch the itch.

D77EFDBB-8BC5-4C87-B74A-5FF716BBA774.jpeg

NULA model 20 .284 Winchester, NF 2.5-10x42. Weight 7lbs even. Rifle shoots half moa or better with 168 grain Matchkings. Getting just under moa with a 160 grain Accubond load that's not quite there yet. Test target that came with it was a half moa clover leaf fired with some 150 grain Winchester ammo. Killed a coyote at 553 a couple weeks ago as he lay in the grass facing me. Have got half moa groups at 800 yards, prone, bipod, no wind. My experience with 3 different Kimbers was .6 moa, .75 moa, and one that would shoot nothing I tried at better than 1.5 moa… and that summarizes my experiences with factory rifles in general; some shoot lights out, most not so much, and some are not worth taking home. My customs have almost all been shooters. 5 Coopers have also made their .5 moa guarantee for me. IMO commission a custom and get exactly what you want, expect reliable accuracy, put on a really good scope and don't ever sell it. I smile every time I pick up one of my customs. Pride of ownership, exceptional proven accuracy. Cry once and smile from there on out. Another option I've read here on LRH is to buy a Kimber, used preferably, rebarrel, true the action, bed it, and you should end up with a more affordable tack driver. I can suggest looking at West Elk Precision in Grand Junction CO. They built me a .300 WSM long range rifle that has been holding just under half moa at 1320 yards. Shot a bull at 1176 yards last fall. They're building another rifle for me intended for marmots at a mile. Here's a five shot 100 yard group from a rifle they just finished.
C842A454-8218-4061-B918-8778409C6758.jpeg

Last edited:
Keep in mind almost every light weight factory I've seen never comes in at what they say.
Second I would 💯 build a custom I love my light weight.
Absolutely nothing come close to as light as the Pierce titanium action. If building a light weight oz matter so that is you best option.
Also check out the swfa 2-10 it's only 10oz I believe. I have one on a howa mini I lightened and it's a pretty decent little scope for most hunting applications.
Also think about having twisted barrel Marty I believe is his name do the fluting. Guy is well known for his fluting and being able to take weight off thinner barrels others may not want to.
I did Pierce action, ti action screws. Salmon river solutions ti slab brake.
Then I added weight with stuff I wanted and or needed still came in very light. My idea was make it light as possible and add things like thumbhole stock, bipod, and camera to it and still be insanely light. I have one short action and long.
Consider e drooling 🤤

I love my little Kimber 84M. The CRF and 3-position safety are great. I have several including a 7-08 most are the hunters which for a plastic stock are built fairly well but I don't like how the feel both to shoulder and in recoil. I have one Montana but it is the 8400 that is going to be a 6.5 PRC when reamer and parts show up. This one weighs ~7-1/2lbs with the Hawke 4-20 it wears now, Spartan pin, etc. It is handy to carry and not compromised being too small/light. I would prefer to save the extra extreme weight in other places rather than on the rifle. I just trimmed another 12 oz off the tripod setup, etc. Lighter, better clothing, etc.

Attachments

• Kimber.jpg
    Kimber.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Tripod Davros.jpg
    Tripod Davros.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 47
Bets part about light weight is buying a carbon tripod and a arca rail form salmon River and it make it a great setup that weighs the same as a standard rifle. Only took me 6 tripods purchased to find the one I liked and was light enough.

I'm really not sure if this is a go or not….probably not, but fun to think about.

So, I have to consider the factory option which is

in 7mm-08.

Add a SS scope

That is 6lbs and a couple ounces after adding a small muzzle break. That is likely $2300.

…or I could go custom:
titanium action and bottom metal 2lb
who makes super lightweight 1.5lb stocks?
16" 2lb light barrel
same 1.25lb scope

can I get any lighter? Can these be shot well enough or am I better off going factory?
Savage UL...lighter, longer barrel, drives tacks all day long. Leupold VX3HD in 3.5-10 or 4.5x14.

Savage UL...lighter, longer barrel, drives tacks all day long. Leupold VX3HD in 3.5-10 or 4.5x14.
I actually just did that setup for a guy.
Roughest action I've felt in a long time. Great feeling rifle for fit. It shot so well I told him who cares about the rough action. First shot is always most important. Juts be aware that the weight savages gives I believe is without the bolt. They always seem to come in heavier than they say. Still light but if your shooting for a number just be aware.