Thinking about a change

selmerfan

I've got an 18" MGM .260 Rem barrel for my Encore in 1-8" twist. I know MGM will rechamber one of their barrels for $100. What different 6.5 cartridge would you go to and why? I'm drawn to the 6.5-284 because it has more oomph than the .260 Rem and brass and dies aren't hard to come by. Other suggestions? I've thought about 6.5-06 AI and 6.5x55 AI also, but are either of those really going to deliver more than the 6.5-284? I don't really NEED to make a change, but it's fun to think about. :)

Is there a 260 rem for sale in the future ?
Maybe. Not really sure. Being as I live in Iowa I can't use a 6.5 of any sort for deer hunting anyway, so mostly just dreaming. I will check out the 600 yard range near here this spring. I want to stretch out a bit with 140 gr Bergers, so I'll probably see how they shoot in the .260 barrel before making a decision. I had MGM stretch the throat on it because I'm not confined by magazine length restrictions. So the longer bullets aren't a COAL issue with this barrel.

I've got an 18" MGM .260 Rem barrel for my Encore in 1-8" twist. I know MGM will rechamber one of their barrels for $100. What different 6.5 cartridge would you go to and why? I'm drawn to the 6.5-284 because it has more oomph than the .260 Rem and brass and dies aren't hard to come by. Other suggestions? I've thought about 6.5-06 AI and 6.5x55 AI also, but are either of those really going to deliver more than the 6.5-284? I don't really NEED to make a change, but it's fun to think about. :)
You just named my favorite caliber so I recommend the 6.5 x 284 Norma.
B42BA1A9-B168-4B0D-AC7B-D94F166B40CB.jpeg

You just named my favorite caliber so I recommend the 6.5 x 2 84 Norma.View attachment 435899
I've been intrigued by the 6.5-284 for many years. The only reason I went with .260 Rem instead of 6.5-284 is that money was a bit tight at the time and I was already set up for the 260 Rem because I have a Ruger 77 in .260 Rem. I was in Minnesota's shotgun zone at the time, but they allowed us to use any pistol as long as it was centerfire and had a barrel of 4" or longer. So the .260 Rem made perfect sense. And it's a great barrel that I've killed plenty of deer with. So mostly just dreaming. I like Ernie's suggestion of just getting a different barrel if/when I want more horsepower.

I gree it's fun to think about because I am hoping to rebarrell a rifle to .260rem because it seems like a good thing. Can't suggest anything else because that's what I'm set on for now.

I started with the 6.5/.284 from SSK in a XP-100. Never regretted it. Killed 300+ deer with it, a dozen from 500-565. Took it to Africa 2 years ago as my only gun. Killed 7 animals with 125 NPT including a 800# kudu at 365 yds.
I shot it so much I shot the barrel out after 2200 rounds. Got a new Douglas barrel from SSK. Trying to baby it a little more than the old one. This and my .375/.284 XP are tied for my #1 gun. Both are great.

I started with the 6.5/.284 from SSK in a XP-100. Never regretted it. Killed 300+ deer with it, a dozen from 500-565. Took it to Africa 2 years ago as my only gun. Killed 7 animals with 125 NPT including a 800# kudu at 365 yds.
I shot it so much I shot the barrel out after 2200 rounds. Got a new Douglas barrel from SSK. Trying to baby it a little more than the old one. This and my .375/.284 XP are tied for my #1 gun. Both are great.
See, that's the thing. I like the XP platform better than the Encore platform, but it limits to one chambering. Because I have two Encore frames, I could potentially sell one with the .260 Rem barrel and start saving my pennies for an XP in the chambering I really want, which would be either the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC. I'd likely go with the former, as I know brass will always be around for that one because it's an established chambering with a great track record.

See, that's the thing. I like the XP platform better than the Encore platform, but it limits to one chambering. Because I have two Encore frames, I could potentially sell one with the .260 Rem barrel and start saving my pennies for an XP in the chambering I really want, which would be either the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC. I'd likely go with the former, as I know brass will always be around for that one because it's an established chambering with a great track record.
One viable option for the XP...Switch barrels:cool:
Since you like the XP-100 platform better, I would recommend you to start saving for what you really want and what you like better.
The brass and the popularity of both these are going to be around for along time.
The PRC is already more popular than the 6.5-284 ever was...It hurt just a little bit to say that;)
You can't go wrong with either chambering.

I neglected to say I have a 6.5/.284 Encore that was a gift from a friend. It is not nearly as accurate as my XP, in fact, very Erratic much of the time. This barrel has a faster twist than my XP and won't shoot 120s, 125s, & 130 NABs which I dearly love. I bought 140 BTs & 143 ELD-Xs( a very fragile bullet worthless on anything other than perfectly broadside shots). Neither of these shoot great in the Encore with several powder changes. In my XP I use only H100V which gives me 100-125 fps more than the WW760 I started with. It didn't work in the Encore??
I like the idea of Encores and have 7 SSK barrels. Changing frames is a loosing proposition (resighting) so I have frames for them all. The only 2 totally trouble free ones are a .338 Mag JDJ, accurate, but not XP accurate ,and a .416 Taylor , very close to XP accurate (killed 3 elephants with it).
The data I saw on the 6.5PRC said it was only 5% more powerful (vel) than the 6.5/.284. Brass is the winner here.

Lapua makes brass for each cartridge-Winner!
Others do as well...

The fastest 17" 6.5-284 I have ever had (Current one) runs the 140 AB @ 2784 fps. Before that, a 17" Krieger ran a 140 A-Max at 2750 fps. 2675-2725 fps seems to be more common with 140 class bullets.

My 18" 6.5 PRC runs 143's (Factory Ammo) at 2858 fps, and reloads with 140 AB's and H-1000 runs faster.

Not counting my fastest 6.5-284 barrel ever, the PRC outruns the 6.5-284 by about 100 fps. I understand the PRC has a barrel 1" longer, so subtract about 25-30 fps from the PRC data

It comes down to the question, what do you want?