What do you think about a 243 WSSM

BLASERMAN

I am thinking of building a second XP 100 in 243 WSSM.
what do you all ,or People think of this Cartridge.I just aquired my second XP 100 in 221 Fireball.

I'm sure it'll work fine but like several other cartridges in the big flood of new ones, it doesn't fill any gaps.

I think its a brilliant choice, of coarse I just ordered a 17" barrel chambered in 6.5 wssm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I think anything on super short mag is ideal for a specialty pistol, the shorter case leaves more of the barrel rifled than the traditional 308 based rounds, that means MORE SPEED.(I hope)

Chris

Winmag, let us know how that 6.5 works out. Sounds like a fun little cartridge. What kind of velocity are you expecting out of it?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it'll work fine but like several other cartridges in the big flood of new ones, it doesn't fill any gaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with ranger. The .243 AI or 6-284 will likely do the same thing in terms of performance. But regardless, with the .221 bolt face you are going to be spending money to get that opened up. If you go .243WSSM and do not like it then you have to go with another larger case head cartridge as a replacement unless you want to spend more moola to get the bolthead fitted for a smaller casehead. If you do the .308 size case head and do not like something then you have a lot of options from the small BR cases to the .284 Win based rounds.

BUT......the fun factor says "Try it!". My 270-243 WSSM (officially .270 OTTR) shoots 140gr Hornady BTSP's to 2605fps at top end in 50 degree weather. Barrel length is 14"...wish it were 16".

I checked case capacity between .243wssm & my .243Ackly the wssm only had a 1.5 gr greater capacity.I think the case is a little big for that action.

I think it would be a fine caliber in the XP. The efficiency of the shorter cartridges has been around for a while (22,6,6.5 BR). For me the WSM and WSSM cartridges work great. with the shorter barrels,I know I will not get the full velocity of the short mag case but I am getting the velocities of what a standard case would be from a 22" to 26" barreled rifle, ie: my 300 WSM HS velocities are what a "06" improved would be from a 22 " barrel.
long story short is that you will get higher velocities than the 308 based case and less than the short mags advertised velocities
go for it and keep us updated on your new caliber. looking forward to the info on the 6.5 on a WSSM as well.
nmhunter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ranger
I was hoping for around 2400 fps but after reading Dan B results I'm getting a little more optimistic and thinking maybe I could reach 2650-2700 with a 130 gr bullet but we'll have to see.

I shoot the same caliber in a rifle with a 24" barrel and can hit 2800(max) with a 140 gr bullet. That load is using Re 22 and I suspect it might be a bit to slow of a powder for this rig but have not tried anything faster burning yet to find out for sure.

Chris

I've got a 243 WSSM in a Win70 Coyote. It is my most favorite rifle. It's a tack driver bone stock and has very little recoil. It may not fill any "gaps" in the cartridge world, but it sure is a fast, powerful and accurate 6mm. I love the "short-fat" case. In my mind, it gives better powder burn perhaps leading to a little better accuracy. I can't say enough about the cartridge.

I went through this decision myself recently. I have a xp100 set in a rear grip McMillan stock originally in 7mmBR. I looked hard at the .243WSSM and the .243AI. It seemed I could reach the velocity I wanted (105 Amax @ 2900fps) with a bit less powder using the WSSM. But, since I already had a rifle in .243AI and so had dies, neck bushing etc. I decided to go with the .243AI (saved a bit on not having to have the bolt opened and a Sako extractor installed). I also am going to go to a 20 inch barrel. IMO with the small bore size, the barrel length is more important to case capacity as pressure maximums are reached sooner. I'm sure either one will work for your intentions. Good luck with the project.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts