Therohetical Hunting Scenario!

I have three, choosin' the one to take is hard at times....First is a Ruger .44 mag semi with a Holo sight, number two is my old 94 Winchester 30-30 with a receiver sight and last a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington, IMO the best overall short (under 150 yds) range cartridge available. I tend to use the Marlin for Hogs mostly, a 200 gr slugs hits them pretty hard, can't tell it works any better on deer than the 30-30.

44mag. If you're shooting under 100yds most of the cartridges mentioned here are still overkill. Personally I'd carry a muzzleloader.

44mag. If you're shooting under 100yds most of the cartridges mentioned here are still overkill. Personally I'd carry a muzzleloader.

You know, I had that same conversation with a buddy of mine today. He basically said the same thing. That has not been ruled out. I'm thinking an inline with about a 24" barrel if I can find one, shooting round ball. We found that using loose powder with patch and ball are as accurate as a sabot and pellets. You can not use the pellets with a round ball though. Very inconsistent.

Tank

You know, I had that same conversation with a buddy of mine today. He basically said the same thing. That has not been ruled out. I'm thinking an inline with about a 24" barrel if I can find one, shooting round ball. We found that using loose powder with patch and ball are as accurate as a sabot and pellets. You can not use the pellets with a round ball though. Very inconsistent.

Tank

If you want to shoot patch and ball it's hard to beat a T/C Renegade, fine guns. I've never been into the patch and ball for some reason, my brush gun is a T/C Omega X7, designed as a short/light mountain rifle. Apparently they recently discontinued it, if you can find one used they are awesome and come factory equipped with Williams peep sights. Dropped my first deer with mine last year, 90 yds DRT.

I began frequenting this site as I acquired a 300WM Sendero and planned for western elk hunting (culminated with a 683yd bull last year) but back home here in the midwest no rifles allowed, so I now go ML all the way. My slug barrel has not been mounted to my 11-87 in at least 5-6 years. Typically I'll carry either my accurized Omega thumbhole good to 400 yds (tactical scope), or both it and my X7. In nearly 20 years of hunting I have yet to kill a deer I did not hit on the 1st shot so the ML is not a limitation to me.

ATH,
I currently own a CVA Frontier in a 50 in percussion. It is an okay little rifle. The only thing I don't like about mine is that it draws moisture pretty easy. I like the idea of an inline. I have yet to see one misfire, though I am not saying it doesn't happen. I was able to ping a 8"circle one steel at 80 yards with my dad's flint after two misfires. Maybe look at getting my Frontier online HUH? I would have to make sure the drum and nipple are really clean for reliable fire. The one thing with that rifle is at long range it is not near as reliable for accuracy.

Tank

You may in fact have found the "Grail"! Back to the bowling ball heavy bullet and, from what I hear and read, outstanding accuracy for the yardages mentioned! Hard to beat that combination for the average brush hunter!

I don't think there is any bullet/rifle combo that will maintain poa after impacting brush. Perhaps a hand grenade launcher will work. Other wise I would say a 30-30 with peep sight would work well. Must have no brush in the flight path though.

Steve

+1.....Thre have been many tests shooting through brush and only one thing is fo certain and that is that shooting through brush is a crap shootat best

I have come to another realization. You have to see them to shoot them. I have been out twice in areas that generally produce and there has been nothing!!

Tank

Tank I'm feelin' your pain brother! I moved back to NC after 35 years, back to the coast where I grew up and hunted as a boy. Couldn't wait to get back! I left a little 36 acre piece of hardwood bottoms and swamps down there that was bordered by thousands of acres of state-owned, non-huntable land. Deer, hogs, and turkey everywhere! I could literally shoot'em from the porch with my ole' STW. Good foodplots and feeders let you really pull'em in. I had shooting houses and blinds in every spot that would hold one!
This afternoon I sat 4 hours on a lock-on in the pines in freezin', raining sleet and gail-force winds and saw three squirrels! I think I got spoiled.....

Pick a spot...a LITTLE spot...squeeze!

Tank I'm feelin' your pain brother! I moved back to NC after 35 years, back to the coast where I grew up and hunted as a boy. Couldn't wait to get back! I left a little 36 acre piece of hardwood bottoms and swamps down there that was bordered by thousands of acres of state-owned, non-huntable land. Deer, hogs, and turkey everywhere! I could literally shoot'em from the porch with my ole' STW. Good foodplots and feeders let you really pull'em in. I had shooting houses and blinds in every spot that would hold one!
This afternoon I sat 4 hours on a lock-on in the pines in freezin', raining sleet and gail-force winds and saw three squirrels! I think I got spoiled.....

Pick a spot...a LITTLE spot...squeeze!

LOL!:D Sounds like it. I use to be able to get in and out of the woods by 10:30am. You would see up wards of 20 to 30 deer in a day. We set for an hour through a drive that lasted for about 45mins and I heard 4 shots. Drives use to produce WWIII. No more... oh well, going up state NY next year with a buddy. We saw a nice buck with a good rack at 942yrds, a spike and a half a dozen doe or so. I think it will be much better. The area we will be hunting will not be hunted real hard this year.

Tank

I say anything in full auto. Aim for the biggest piece of meat you can see, pull the trigger and empty the magazine. You are sure to at least get a good blood trail. If you carry an extra magazine on your belt then you don't have to take any extra time to reload before you run after the wounded deer. It's no big deal if he gets away because the nest guy over will probably shoot the wounded deer anyway. If you don't get lead in the air you can't kill anything. gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)gun)

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.