The right balance in a spotting scope?

pyroducksx3

Ok here's the dilemma. I am getting my first and hopefully only spotting scope. I do a lot of walking around/backpacking while hunting. In order to make my daypack/backpack comfortable or as light as possible I am trying to strike the right balance between weight and actual functionability in a spotter. I am pretty heavily decided on the nikon field scope ED50 with a weight of 17 oz. with a power of 13-30 optional eyepiece of 13-40. What Im wanting/expectation out of a scope is the ability to identify animals at long range (buck or doe) to decide if they are worth perusing and the the ability to at 800-1000 be able to count points (not score just determine if they are legal). I was also hoping to do some amateur digiscoping, nothing professional just taking cool pics to show people stuff I get to see being out hunting and in the high country. Im worried that maybe I have sacrificed actual scope functionality for weight. The scopes I'm interested in are #1 nikon fieldscope ED 50 13-30 at 17oz. The other options are a toss up between the nikon fieldscope III 20-60 at 38 oz. (is the ED version really worth x2 the cost) or the leupold gold ring 12-40 HD spotter at 37oz. So people with experience with these scope and also individuals that backpack and use scope please help. This is an expensive decision and I am trying to make an educated purchase. Thank you

Hope I didnt scare you off in last post.It is a tough position.Cost goes up every yr. My gold ring is old so I paid something close to $600?. I have packed it alot but as I am getting older I have a 10-20-leo. good packer but wish more x. Plus my 20x rifle scope I dont bother bring as it is better optics.The larger scopes will be nicer to use, but larger. I drive and spot alot, so I want a larger scope yet. If it was me personal, I would have a leo 12-45x60 hd w/trm becasue I shoot mil, and spotter could give exact correction. Saw a used one for $1000 and cold not believe the jump in scope prices. My rig scope would be big Pentax or Howa, my friend has large 20-60x80ziess wow.

Hope I didnt scare you off in last post.It is a tough position.Cost goes up every yr. My gold ring is old so I paid something close to $600?. I have packed it alot but as I am getting older I have a 10-20-leo. good packer but wish more x. Plus my 20x rifle scope I dont bother bring as it is better optics.The larger scopes will be nicer to use, but larger. I drive and spot alot, so I want a larger scope yet. If it was me personal, I would have a leo 12-45x60 hd w/trm becasue I shoot mil, and spotter could give exact correction. Saw a used one for $1000 and cold not believe the jump in scope prices. My rig scope would be big Pentax or Howa, my friend has large 20-60x80ziess wow.

No you didnt scare me, I had been on the fence about if this was the right scope or not. Also I almost never hear about this scope almost everyone uses the bigger 60mm and I was curious if there is a specific reason why or is that its just not on most peoples radar. I figured I would just ask before taking the plunge as it is a significant purchase for me $$ wise. I have been pretty torn between the leupold and the nikon 50 ED for awhile. I wast sure about the nikon fieldscopeIII 20-60 was wondering if its really anybetter than their prostaff? I imagine the fieldscope III ED is better becasue its almost twice the price as the non ed. Also Im almost never in a vehicle either high country or I prefer to get away from other hunters which mean no roads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.