the right scope

Bouieboy

Recently, I purchased a model seven CDL 300 WSM. I have looked and looked for the perfect scope in my price range, but after reading so many reviews, I have a headache! I and wanting a scope with a high power range, that is clear, great light transmission, and will let me shoot 1000+ yards. I will send my rifle to be customized for accuracy, I just need the right scope. My price range is up to $700, but preferably less. I have looked at weaver super slam, bushnell elite 4200, burris xtr and black diamond, and nikon monarch. I have read some posts that clearidge xp5 and sightron scopes were good. I would like to choose from 3 to 5 different scopes...what are the best options?

BB,

I, too, am in a scope quest right now. I can give you some general information regarding the scopes you are pursuing. I have no Weaver, Nikon or Burris experience, but I own a Clearidge XP 4.5-14X40, a Sightron Big Sky 3-9X42, and I have a hunting buddy with a Bushnell 4-16X40 4200. The Clearidge is a great scope; however, the XP was lacking in MOA so I had to put it on a .22LR (it is now a squirrel's worst nightmare). I believe the XP5 has improvement in this area and if it is at least as good as my XP both mechanically and optically, then I would suggest it as a good scope for your needs. The Sightron is an awesome scope, and the only thing keeping me from another one is reticle choice. I don't like much about the Bushnell. I know there are many that praise them, but I find the eye relief very critical, the FOV very small, and the color is not true. It is a great low light scope, though.

Good luck in your scope hunt.

Bouieboy, are you sure your gun is a 300WSM? I'm betting it's a 300SAUM. doesn't matter. the new PST in a 4-16 would fit your package very well.

Comment for the first reply. I'm positive that the rifle I bought is a WSM.

About the XP5...funny, before you posted opinion, I decided on that exact scope. I've decided on a 4.5X22.5X50, with mili dot. The opticzone is where I was looking too.

I'd get a Zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50 Demos can be had for around $750 like new, full warranty. Very tough to beat this scope for under $1,000

779.00 on e-bay and 759.00 at cameralandny if still in stock. Best choice here so far and they can handle 4x the recoil of a 460 weatherby mag. But don't take my word, call zeiss.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.