In the market for a new spotting scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by 87predator, Jun 6, 2013.

1. 87predator

87predator Well-Known Member

Gents,
    I'm wanting to upgrade my optics, and for spotting scopes, I have pretty well decided on vortex, but not saying I couldn't be persuaded some other direction. My budget is around the $1000 mark give or take a couple hundred. This will be for hunting mainly, but also want to use it to film.

So to my question. What do most of you think about the power. The Viper HD are what I'm looking at, and are 15-45 or close or 20-60. Which one would you go with and why?

As always, thank you in advance.

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I am in the market, too....And have been looking at that Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80 straight eyepiece.

However, I heard not too long ago that NightForce will be releasing a spotting scope, so I will probably be heading in that direction... I am hoping that they will release it with the MOAR reticle, so it will match the scope I plan on ordering.

3. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

We walked around and looked at a lot of spotting scopes at the SHOT Show back in January.

At that price point I would buy this one:
    Kowa TSN-82SV 3.2"/82mm Spotting Scope TSN-82SV B&H Photo

and the 20-60x eyepiece:
    Kowa Interchangeable Eyepieces for Kowa 66mm / 60mm / 82SV Spotting Scopes FREE S&H TE-17HD, TE-9Z, TE-14WD. Kowa Spotting Scope Accessories.

We thought it was better than any other $1000 scope, and difficult to distinguish any improvement until you paid twice as much. Clearer and sharper than the Vortex models too.

4. 87predator

Thanks for the replies thus far guys. My main concern is what power. I'm leaning towards vortex, because I have some of there stuff, and love it, and because I am the main reason my local gun shop became a dealer.

5. berdarien

berdarien Member

6. webs

webs Well-Known Member

If you take a look at the birding forums they give Kowa extremely high regard.

7. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

What are you doing with the spotter?

8. marinetowgunner

marinetowgunner Well-Known Member

Not going to be offered with a reticle in the foreseeable future.

9. 87predator

I will use it for scouting, but also want one to put in a pack and haul up the mountain. Weight is of some importance, but not as much as durability and glass quality.