The LRF Wars. Is it really that bad?

I used my buddies sig 2200 to range muleys to 1400. It did a rock face at 2100 just fine. My leupold 1200 ranged antelope to 850 but it wasn't as fast as the sig. Based on my brief experience with sig, that'll probably be my next rangefinder.

I ended up with a Leupold 2800. Wow, easily ranges trees or ground anywhere...something have to look for anything special or reflective...instant returns in the 1400-1800 range. Ranged deer easily from 1200-1400 so far...hard to laser further without tripod, I was just bracing off stuff... Opposite ridges, hit trees and rocks out to 22something which is about the limit it seems. Also ranged a tree right near a bull elk , wayy below us at 2160, then a ridge between at about a 1000...so we new that it was still too far from that ridge before we even started a stalk. All this was in bright sun, clear skies. Still need more testing with precip in the air...I dont plan to shoot animals beyond maybe 800, but I want all the laser horsepower I can get to have better odds of ranging in bad weather.

I also returned a 12 year old leupy Rx 4 I think...way out of warranty...they covered 60% towards a new one. So I got the 1600 coming for back up. Anyway...if I was to upgrade...I'd go straight to a g7 or sig2400ab and get the real ballistic solver. Anyway, a couple buddies have Leica 2000b, they r very nice too although the 2800 was definitely ranging further with greater ease.
So time will tell if the Leupold holds up and such. Happy at this point. Just wanted to throw some feedback out there since it was limited earlier...

I've had a 1600b for years. After I got mine my father and 2 shooting buddies went out and bought one for themselves. I think I seen a 1600b in like new condition on the hide or accurate shooter a couple days ago for 300 something
When I upgrade it will be another Leica

I bought the Leica 2400 last week. It ranges great and gives fast readings. I don't need a ballistics program in my rangefinder so if it holds up for a few years I'll be happy. I like it better than my old Swaro.

JLP, I believe you on the Leica/Swarovski comparison. It fits with my own experience bird watching and borrowing both brands of binos from others. I use a decent pair of PENTAX DSP 8 x 42 or my 10 x 42 Bushnell 1Mile ARC LRF binos for birding.

Leica was the first with LRF binoculars and they are still the best.

Eric B.

I'm not too impressed with my Leica 1600. On a bright sunny day, it wouldn't range buildings at 880 yards. Bought a Terrapin X, used it to 2809 yards. The leica still goes with me hunting. Perfect size for the front pocket.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.