The 6mm BR

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I think goodgrouper's posts are starting to win me over. Even though it is physically impossible for me to afford another gun project right now it is still fun to get the wheels turning. After reding goodgrouper talk about the 6mm of his shooting past 1k with only 31 something grains of powder i think I am falling in love. I am wondering though if got a 6mm BR instead of the improved one what kind range can I expect. Will it still be a 1k plus gun or not? I am looking for a low recoil, low powder burning, long barrel life, 1k plus prairie dog/ light skinned deer rifle that will shoot like a dream, you know pretty much what everyone wants.

Any Ideas/ Opinions

Thanks
Steve Elmenhorst

Steve,
My version of the 6br is called a 6br tejas. It is nothing more than a standard br with a 40 degree shoulder and a very, very slightly longer body. It keeps the neck/shoulder junction in the same place thus leaving the signature long neck of the standard br. ALl in all, it only holds about 1.6 grains more powder than a standard br, and holds about 1.4 less grains than the popular 6br dasher. I have called my gun a dasher before on this site just so people could understand what it is because no one has ever heard of a Tejas, and they are so close to the same thing.

I believe you will lose about 50-75 fps to my Tejas if you go with the standard br. In reality, it isn't that big of a deal. Put a fast twist barrel on it and shoot 95-107 vld's out of it and it will scare you how far it will go!

[ QUOTE ]
Will it still be a 1k plus gun or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! My 95 grain Berger Vld's at a velo of 3030 stay supersonic out to about 1500 yards! I have not found anyother cartridge/bullet combo out there that can do this in such a nice package while only using about 31 grains of powder! A 6x47 (6mm-222 mag) fast twist will use slightly less powder, but it drops the velo down low enough that it negates the benefits of the heavier bullets.

The fast twist 22 caliber guns shoot well, but the bc of the bullets is not as high as the 6mm's and you need to burn 5-10 grains more powder to get the velo up to compenstate for a full one point bc loss.

The next biggest caliber is the 25's and they suffer from bc's that are not as high as they should be (unless your using Richard's Wildcatters bullets). For instance, one of the highest bc factory bullets for 25 is the Berger 115 VLD. It requires a 10 twist and has a bc of .522. The 6mm Berger 95 grain VLD has a bc of .524. It takes a lot less powder to get the 95 up to sufficient velocity than it does the 115. So again, the 6mm would be better for all the things you mention.

Don't get me wrong, the 115 vld is a very potent combo when teamed with a larger capacity case such as the 25-06, but you burn almost 20 grains more powder to get it to go fast enough to "out-ballistic" the 6mm. OLD bear has a 25-06 loaded with the 115 vld's and I have spotted for him on 1300 yard chuck shoots and I was very impressed with the performance, but he never took a shot that my 6br Tejas wouldn't do!

When you get to the next caliber, you find that the 6.5mm do offer much higher bc's than the sixes, but they need more powder as well. In really nasty switch wind conditions, my 6.5-.284 is a better 1k cartridge than the 6br, but then it boils down to how well the "driver" can steer the bullet. When I built my 6.5, it was for 1500 yard hunting. At that range it offers significantly more improvement over the 6br than it does at 1000.

Anyway, I think you will love the 6 if that is what you go for.
good shooting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I really like my 6br, but if I was going to build one for shooting past 5-600 yds it would probably be the 6dasher. Check out the link above. it has more info than you could imagine.

Glen

GoodGrouper, what i am really looking for is a 1k plus low recoil, little powder burning gun that won't eat a barrel. I really like what I hear about the 6mm dasher but the forming of the brass seems like a real pain in the @$$. Do you have to do all the false shoulder forming and stuff in your 6mm tejas?? What do you think the best 6mm or 6.5 i could get would be and still meet the requirments I listed above and not be a total pain to prep brass.

Thanks
Steve Elmenhorst

Steve,
The only thing I had to do to form my brass was dump in 25 grains of AA2015 and seat a speer 75 grain bullet and pull the trigger. They came out with a sharp shoulder and they were 99% fire formed. The last one percent was finished on the second loading. It just put a slightly sharper edge on the body/shoulder junction.

The dasher would not be as bad as it seems to create the false shoulder. Just one more pass through a die.

Either one of these cartridges will be nothing but a pleasure for 1k shooting. I think when my 22-250 improved fast twist burns out, I might just get another Tejas br made!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.