6mm br vs 6.5x47

timmymic

Which of the 2 is better for a 1000 yard target gun? Or both capably of that range or how far short or beyond 1000?

What kind of target/competition, it makes a difference in my opinion.

If I was to pick between the two for 1000yd. benchrest competition it would be the 6.5X47lapua. However if you are open to the improved br's then the 6Dasher gets the nod. Won every Nationals last year at 600 and 1000yds in benchrest. Tough to argue when you took all the trophies home.

In a couple weeks I will be going to the Long Range Nationals in Calf. I will post the results including calibers of the three(Light and Heavy 600, 1000 and F-bench) National championships for The NBRSA when I get back.

Brent

IMO the 6.5x47 is a mid-range competition cartridge(a **** good one).
It won't stand ground against long-range competition cartridges like a 6Dasher, and there has been a lot of 1kyd success in 6br norma.
Same with the 6.5CM (also designed for mid-range).
A 6x47L would beat a 6.5x47L at 1kyd, by the numbers(again IMO).

It comes down to bullets of coarse, BC at velocity at recoil, all else equal.
Somebody's gonna claim they do so well at 1kyd with a 6.5x47L, but someone could also claim this in ANY mid to large cartridge. These claims are merely anomolies until proven otherwise, and that don't happen overnight.
There have been numerous declarations over the years that the 6PPC is the most accurate cartridge. This becomes laughably false when qualified by ranges, and ACCURACY -vs- PRECISION.
I wouldnt want to put a 6.5x47L against a 6PPC at 100yds, anymore than I'd care to put a 6PPC against a 6br at 600yds. And at 600yd my money would go with a 6.5x47 over either, and at 1kyd, a 6br over a 6.5x47L.
Range changes everything, because results with are less and less to do with precision.

How would the 6mm Creedmoor fit in this bunch? I have heard that this caliber can run with the 6 Dasher. I don't know much about either, but the 6 Creedmoor sounds very interesting.

A 6 Creedmoore would be a wildcat like a 6 dasher, 6x47L, 6XC, or 6 Competition Match.
It would offer nothing over a 6Dasher, and Lapua's 6br brass is superior to Hornady's Creedmore.
Lapua uses small primers and is at the capacity where this is appropriate.
Hornady use large primers, and is not designed to withstand the pressures Lapua allows.

Of all the cartridges in this capacity, 6Dasher & 6x47L(very similar) will prove to be hardest to beat at 1kyd. Both can be run at high enough pressures to work around reloading variances. Both delivering hi-BC bullets at 2950fps+ and with lower recoil than 26cal versions. Both using Lapua brass.
Only issue for some is that both are wildcats.

the number for a 6 dasher and 6.5x47 are nearly identical out to 1k. A slight drop advantage to the dasher and a wind advantage for the 6.5x47. One thing to look at is the price difference between 6mm bullets and 6.5mm bullets. 6 dasher will have less recoil. I used to have a 6mm br and it was one heck of a shooter. You wouldnt think that small case would be capable of what it can do...its very impressive. I was running 95gr. bergers at 3030fps with 31 grains of powder, that was max load in my rifle. A if you want to wildcat I would lean towards a 6x47 lapua for the simple fact there is no fire forming vs. the 6 dasher.

Straight BR almost no one is shooting at 600 and no one at 1000. Either the BRX, Dasher or BRDX (long neck dasher)

The other thing to look at with a dasher is almost everyone is setting them back at 400-600 rds and rechambering. If you can do that yourself, just your time if you have to pay to have it done, then that is another story.

The WSM is also a winning, 1k gun. However at 600 the 6mm rule

Bounty Hunter why are they rechambering at 400-600 rounds? Are they using a warmer load? Typical experience we have here is 500-1500 is when they perform the best. But we load the same as Richard has done since 2003. 3000-3050fps with 105 size pills. However with the new brass and the 105's working so well. My reamer is a 270neck and a 135freebore instead of the original Richard setup as a 272 and 104.

Any issues with brass life?

Brent

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.