6mm br or 284 win

6mm br or 284 win

• Total voters
I've never heard of anybody using the 115 grain bullet in the 6BR, but see no reason why not. I use a 1:14 twist barrel, so pretty much use 70 thru 80 grain bullets only. Had I todo all over it would have been a ten twist barrel (the barrel was a freebe bench rest barrel blank).
gary

I've never heard of anybody using the 115 grain bullet in the 6BR, but see no reason why not. I use a 1:14 twist barrel, so pretty much use 70 thru 80 grain bullets only. Had I todo all over it would have been a ten twist barrel (the barrel was a freebe bench rest barrel blank).
gary

I would go with a 1-9 twist. This way you can shoot from 75s-100s.

It seems odd how little weight gets added to the 6mm bullets before requiring a increase in twist. Berger has a 107gn target bullet that is slicker than owl sh:t, i think i would probably go with a 1:8 just to use that one.

It seems odd how little weight gets added to the 6mm bullets before requiring a increase in twist. Berger has a 107gn target bullet that is slicker than owl sh:t, i think i would probably go with a 1:8 just to use that one.

Ya I know they are really finicky on twists. That's why I consider the 1-9 twist one of the best unless you're shooting the 107s like you said. I agree with you a 1-8 twist or maybe even a 7 would be best for those heavy VLDs.

I dont have anything as of yet. Im just thinking, if i were to go with a 1:8, how would 80 and 90gn bullets shoot out of it?
Can the next twist rate be enough to open up groups?

FWIW, my 6br is an 8tw and I've shot 75gn vmax's & 88gn berger FB's just fine, & those 88s really shoot great too btw. The faster twist might shave some FPS off the 75s a little when compared to a 9,10+ tw but they still shot like a house on fire with 31 or so gns of varget/RL15. If it were me Id do an 8tw as it gives you more versatility with bullets from 70gns up to the 105/107 heavies. On the other hand if you want a br that only shoots the lighter varmint bullets 60-70gns do a 10 or slower twist so you can really push them fast. I myself have been toying with this idea for a single shot dedicated varmint gun in 6Br lately.

Last edited:
I no scientific data to this, just observation over the years. But it seems to me that faster twists give more splat factor on varmints like gophers and prairie dogs. Might just be in my head?? But I think you would want a 8 twist. There are several good offerings in the 105 ,107 range. Like the 107 SMK I been shooting. I was worried these would not open on gophers with a MV just over 2800. They do and some even take flight.

Now if you are heading for the 115's we need to hear from someone that has done it with an 8 twist. I would like to know myself.

Jeff

I no scientific data to this, just observation over the years. But it seems to me that faster twists give more splat factor on varmints like gophers and prairie dogs. Might just be in my head?? But I think you would want a 8 twist. There are several good offerings in the 105 ,107 range. Like the 107 SMK I been shooting. I was worried these would not open on gophers with a MV just over 2800. They do and some even take flight.

Now if you are heading for the 115's we need to hear from someone that has done it with an 8 twist. I would like to know myself.

Jeff

Good to know..I have a bunch of 107s myself, always wondered what they'd do to a groundhog. I always suspected they'd blow right through one unscathed and then continue on into the side of someones barn or house. :(

I have no personal experience with 8 twists but I figure they'd stabilize an 85-87gr pretty well. Broz mentioned the splat factor, they probably will do some demage since they are really cranking RPMs coming out of an 8 instead of a 9 or 10 twist. Accuracy may not be the best possible but they probably won't be bad. If I were going to shoot 115s I'd play it safe and get a 1-7 twist, but maybe an 8 will work, never heard of anyone trying it before.

That is good to know. Im gonna start looking around for data on the 115's and if they fly well i may even decide to go 1:7 to fully stabilize the heavy pills since there doesnt seem too be much drawback to running a tighter twist than necessary. Except a small drop in MV.

CB,whats your logic again for running the 115s in the br? The 115 Bergers are actually .002 points less in bc than the 105 hybrids. I just don't know what real advantage you be gaining by doing so. Also I think you'll have a better chance finding bullets in the 105-107 range compared to the 115s. I dont think theres a a real world advantage running these in the 6br case. If you want to shoot them you should just go up to a 6x47 or 6XC as they have the extra hp needed to push them.

That is good to know. Im gonna start looking around for data on the 115's and if they fly well i may even decide to go 1:7 to fully stabilize the heavy pills since there doesnt seem too be much drawback to running a tighter twist than necessary. Except a small drop in MV.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.