6mm br velocities

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Kevin, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me what kind of velocities you are getting with 105-7gr bullets, and at what barrel length. How much difference would there be between a 26in barrel vs. 30inch.

2. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

i have shot several different setups in 6br.,right now in my 28" 1-8 twist im getting around 2900fps with 105g bullets-no moly,with the 95g bergers im getting around 3050fps-no moly,both loads are "warm" but by no means way over pressure,if u have any more questions send me a email,my-2-dave

3. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

one more thing-as usual u will see higher velocities with less pressure in the longer tubes,but i have shot 26" tubes for 1000yd. shooting with no problems.i also get around 2900 with 107mk-dave

4. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave,

I have an action to rebarrel and was just trying to decide on the chamber. I'm not sure that the added 3-400fps of the faster 6's is really that necessary.

5. LDO

LDO Well-Known Member

what are u going to use the rifle for?-dave

6. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Mainly just target and gophers, may take a deer or antelope though. I guess I was aiming at haveing enough left over at around half a mile to still kill deer effectively. Most of my shooting is in the 5-700 yard range, since I have to drive farther than I want too to get to a longer range. It seems that the 6br may be just the ticket.

7. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

How about a nice compromise cartridge. The 6 Dasher reportedly shoots as accurately as the 6BR but has a few hundred ft/sec faster muzzle velocity. Much less powder than any of the bif 6's.
    Mike Bryant has been building rifles in this cartridge.
    Just a thought.

8. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

VH,
    Good thought, looks like there are a few different improved versions of the 6 br. I'll probably go with one of those. Going custom is just too much fun [​IMG]