The .22LR as a Long Range Tool?

Christian

I'm just getting into the long range game, and out of curiosity I was playing with a typical 22LR load in my ballistics program. I calculated the BC at about .140, and with a MV of 1200 fps +/-, the 300 yard trajectories and drift are remarkably similar to that of many of the long range cartridges 800 to 1000 yard ballistics (100+ inches of drop and 38-40 inches of wind drift @ 10mph/90 degrees).

As 1000 yard ranges are rare where I live, and I assume many others have the same problem, I was wondering how many people practiced with .22s on a more common 300 yard range?

Considering the life and expense of barrels and components for the big stuff, it seems to me like there is some value to setting up a .22 for long range practice. With some basic steel targets scaled for .22s and the ability to burn hundreds of rounds with virtually no expense, it seems you could really accelerate the learning curve.

Welcome aboard. It's a fun place. Lots of info.

To answer your question:

22LR @ 500 yds w/the target being a steel sil. of a coyote was one of the more fun things that I have ever done.

It was cheap. It was fun. Learned alot about wind. Learned more about mirage after the sun set and the wind died. Variations in POI were humongous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

overall itsa good idea.

When I was in high school, I shot .22's alot. I've got 4 target rifles and a couple plinkers and pistols. I made a 12" square plate, and hung it from a piece of re-bar and painted it white, and would shoot it out to 250 yards. Have a winchester 52B with a 8-32X target scope with the 1/8 min. target dot, it could hit empty .22 brass and aspirin pills at 100 yards pretty easily. And those little green plastic army men. I used to be able to get Ely ammo, they stopped carrying it here locally. I ought to start shooting my .22's some more. I always thought it would be cool to shoot crows or squirrels from 300 yards or so. Put out a corn pile or something. I used to put out deer scraps and road kill along our field edge at 180 yards, and shoot whatever came out there.

Long range small game hunting with a .22 was something I was mulling over. It would be much more available and affordable for the average hunter, and making a head shot on a squirrel at 300 yards would be just as challenging as making a good shot on a deer at 800-1000 yards.

I see Savage has a heavy barrel .22 with the Accu-Trigger that only lists for $285.00. Might not be a bad gun to start a long range project with. That, combined with a good scope and the right load, could make for a lot of fun! Here in PA, almost no one hunts squirrels anymore- the late season woods are virtually deserted.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.