Test results on 264 cal 150 & 160 gr Matrix Bullets

Bryan,

Does your book explain why the G7 BC increases with slower velocities?

Yes. Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting has the most thorough explanation.

To sum it up; it only has to do with how the G1 and G7 standards compare to a certain bullet.

BC's going up or down at long range is just a comparison with how a bullets drag compares to the G1 or G7 standard. The bullet flight isn't affected, just how the model compares.

And a word about Matrix, I want to make sure that none of my comments are seen as negative against Matrix bullets. For a long time, Marshal has been open to outside analysis and has done his best to represent the performance of his bullets accurately. He recently sent me another batch of bullets to test and I plan to do so and share the results.

-Bryan

bryan, I have been reading your articles on your website and studying your stuff. I love your info that you have out there. I have your videos and your phone app. I love the calibration feature based on observed shooting.

I was wondering if you tested the 150 .277 accubond long range bullet yet. do have a guess on what the real numbers for this bullet are.

bryan, I have been reading your articles on your website and studying your stuff. I love your info that you have out there. I have your videos and your phone app. I love the calibration feature based on observed shooting.

I was wondering if you tested the 150 .277 accubond long range bullet yet. do have a guess on what the real numbers for this bullet are.

Thanks for the complements. It's good to hear when people are using our stuff and it's working for them.

I have tested the whole line of Nosler LR Accubonds and posted results on this thread:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

Take care,
-Bryan

Curios Bryan, I really like the format which spells out stepped BC for given velocity. I have had discussions with some people who claim to be experts and quote you often about stepped BC formats for ballistics apps. They seem to think stepped BC for Bergers is bogus. I have both Matrix and Bergers in the 6.5 I use for my predator rifles and have played with my own trial and error stepped BC for the berger 140. Do you feel this format is the best method for that bullet as well?

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I have not done a lot of ELR shooting but it seems when I get past 1000 I need to tweak things a bit.

Gotta tag in here, I can't believe I missed this thread by 21 days! Thank you Bryan, I do appreciate the evaluation.

I like the format of the data sheets; simple to understand, just the way I like it :D

t

So, I have to admit that I have next to zero experience running the G7 BC's. After Bryan posted his findings, I started toying with my original data running a straight up G1 of .680 @ 3100fps. I compared that with the stepped G7 straight from Bryan's chart.

Pressure is Absolute
Baro of 25.95
Temp 70*

1000 Yds
G1= 20.76 IPHY
G7= 21.06 IPHY

Ok just over 1/4 min difference, not bad.

1325 Yds
G1= 33.90 IPHY
G7= 33.33 iPHY

Now it's just over 1/2 min the other way around? (scratches head)
I see that the stepped G7 actually increase BC as the velocity goes down. I'm just surprised to see the flip flop with the same bullet going the same speed in the same conditions. I guess the right thing to do is shoot at those distances & see which is the better choice. gun)

To those of you have more experience with G7; what do you think? Maybe I should use his data to step the G1 as well.....

t

So, I have to admit that I have next to zero experience running the G7 BC's. After Bryan posted his findings, I started toying with my original data running a straight up G1 of .680 @ 3100fps. I compared that with the stepped G7 straight from Bryan's chart.

Pressure is Absolute
Baro of 25.95
Temp 70*

1000 Yds
G1= 20.76 IPHY
G7= 21.06 IPHY

Ok just over 1/4 min difference, not bad.

1325 Yds
G1= 33.90 IPHY
G7= 33.33 iPHY

Now it's just over 1/2 min the other way around? (scratches head)
I see that the stepped G7 actually increase BC as the velocity goes down. I'm just surprised to see the flip flop with the same bullet going the same speed in the same conditions. I guess the right thing to do is shoot at those distances & see which is the better choice. gun)

To those of you have more experience with G7; what do you think? Maybe I should use his data to step the G1 as well.....

t

I would use the G7 as the error gets worse on the high b.c. bullets the farther you go with the G1. At closer ranges, 1/2 moa doesn't matter much anyway.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts