New 150 matrix test

I was fire forming some brass today and shot this with the 150 Matrix so thought it might be worth a post.......Rich DSCF1011.jpg

Finally some real data. A friend of mine drew a depredation deer tag near Orofino Id., and with minimal arm twisting, I was able to convince him to use my 6.5 SS with the 150 Matrix. The catch was, he had to provide me with some good data including lots of pics!
The rifle is a SA 700 with a 26", 8 twist Benchmark 5r barrel (plenty of twist for the 150). The load was the 150 Matrix ahead of 65 grains RL33 and a 210M primer for a mv of 3124'. This is a moderate load that gives sub 1/2 moa accuracy.
I was excited about the 150 when I first received them from Marshal because I feel they are about optimum weight. They have a thinner nose than the 160 and are capable of higher velocity at 1000 yards. Both of these attributes I felt would help initiate expansion at long range. Early expansion tests in water were very encouraging with expansion down to 1700'. With a retained 1247 ft. lbs. and 1935' velocity at 1000 yards, I'm thinking an elk load for this fall, but needed some "MEAT" data! What I wasn't sure of was how it would perform at higher velocities in mass?
On to the hunt: The setup was a large field that deer were using frequently and had shooting opportunities of over 1000 yards. After watching a group of deer feeding for some time at the 400-500 yard range, and daylight fading, it was decided to take a dry doe at 440 yards. data is data, right?The SIII was dialed up to 6 1/2 moa and when the trigger was squeezed the deer jumped 6' straight up! It then lunged forward in a semi circle with blood gushing from a massive hole in the off shoulder. This was clearly visible through the scope. The bullet entered just behind the shoulder leaving a small entrance wound through the rib cage. It then started to progressively expand cutting a trough through the heart, shedding some weight (shrapnel evidence) and caused extensive damage to the off lung before taking out a rib, the large shoulder bone, and leaving a BASEBALL sized exit wound out the lower shoulder. This is the kind of evidence that I wanted to see at this range and it was obvious that a hefty portion of the bullet exited the shoulder.
Based on the evidence, I would be comfortable shooting an elk through the shoulder (at this range). You can make your own determination based on the pics.......Rich
The green on the shoulder wound was the deers dinner coming out of a blown esophagus!
DSCF1025.jpg

get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

Attachments

• DSCF1022.jpg
    DSCF1022.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF1024.jpg
    DSCF1024.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 58
  • get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Wow, very impressive! Do you think this bullet will stabilize in a 26" .264WM with a 1-9?
I have a Lipsey Number 1, not sure why Ruger chose a 1-9, but they did!

Wow, very impressive! Do you think this bullet will stabilize in a 26" .264WM with a 1-9?
I have a Lipsey Number 1, not sure why Ruger chose a 1-9, but they did!

Yes, they probably would but might be marginal if you aren't too far above sea level......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts