Terminal Performance? - Hornady's New ELD Match vs. Old A-Max

Amen on the hoarded . I started hoarding a little bit today because I think they may have quit production of the amax bullets, the 30 cal. 178 gr. are very hard for me to find but the 30 cal. 168 are not yet. Wall Mart have the 168gr. on clearance, a 250 ct. box for $49 dollars I couldn't pass the deal up. Good hunting and be safe.

I know this is an old thread, but I was doing some research on the difference between the a max and the newer eld's when I came across this thread.

If it will help anybody out, I still have 7 boxes (100 count) of the 178 a max's.

Mike

58A1693D-FDF8-4804-902E-0DA86180E646.jpeg F3B0F806-470E-477D-BE51-29FFC531EE36.jpeg

I know this is an old thread but I'm just wondering if anyone has any new info/results using these ELD Match Bullets on game......especially 6.5 caliber. I went to a long range shooting class earlier his month and didn't have time or the brass to load as many rounds as I needed and since I'd already tried these when they first came out, I ordered 300 rounds of 140 ELD Match to shoot the class with. They're just as accurate, faster and have a better ES than my best 140 VLD handloads! I love my Bergers but have quite a few ELDMs left and may just use them this year instead of reloading any more VLDs. Any info would be appreciated.

We have extensive data w/ELD match in 6.5 flavor on game from the last 2 seasons. Elk and deer, they perform the same. Stay away from heavy bone, shoulder, spine, neck, etc. if you hit em in the crease they usually are DRT bang flop.

hit em in the shoulder and they seldom penetrate to the vitals. (these are slower creedmoor speeds to boot)

we tested 140's & 147's.

I would not recommend hunting with them. Unless your able to hit them behind the crease every time - but we just don't get that opportunity all the time in north Idaho brush!

We have extensive data w/ELD match in 6.5 flavor on game from the last 2 seasons. Elk and deer, they perform the same. Stay away from heavy bone, shoulder, spine, neck, etc. if you hit em in the crease they usually are DRT bang flop.

hit em in the shoulder and they seldom penetrate to the vitals. (these are slower creedmoor speeds to boot)

we tested 140's & 147's.

I would not recommend hunting with them. Unless your able to hit them behind the crease every time - but we just don't get that opportunity all the time in north Idaho brush!

What has changed your opinion since you posted this.....see attachement

upload_2018-8-31_19-58-20.jpeg

in years prior we had perfect broadside shots with them, that's where the great performance came from.

however, this past hunting season we had 147's blow up on a bull's shoulder not making it through the ribcage, along with 140 ELDM on a large bodied mule deer with same result ----- hitting thick shoulder bone and not penetrating through the rib cage. Both animals, the bullet exploded and was resting in pieces right against the near side rib cage.... after those 2 eye opening experiences with them not penetrating I changed my mind entirely using these bullets.

They just aren't built to penetrate heavy bone, besides, in the short to moderate hunting ranges I normally hunt I have come to my senses and realized I do not need such a soft bullet.

they are great for a well placed shot behind the crease, however, oftentimes im not presented with that kind of shot opportunity in the thick cover I hunt in.

Last edited:
in years prior we had perfect broadside shots with them, that's where the great performance came from.

however, this past hunting season we had 147's blow up on a bull's shoulder not making it through the ribcage, along with 140 ELDM on a large bodied mule deer with same result ----- hitting thick shoulder bone and not penetrating through the rib cage. Both animals, the bullet exploded and was resting in pieces right against the near side rib cage.... after those 2 eye opening experiences with them not penetrating I changed my mind entirely using these bullets.

They just aren't built to penetrate heavy bone, besides, in the short to moderate hunting ranges I normally hunt I have come to my senses and realized I do not need such a soft bullet.

they are great for a well placed shot behind the crease, however, oftentimes im not presented with that kind of shot opportunity in the thick cover I hunt in.

Thanks for the info.....I'll give them a good test this season!

Anyone else with similar or different experiences?

I haven't shot an elk with one yet but a couple clients have had good luck. I did shoot a deer quartering heavily away and it penetrated a measured 27" and part of the bullet exited the brisket. LOTS of internal damage!

Still like the Amax for 400 yards and farther ! More accurate in my guns and do not blow up at the longer yardages, solid bones tend to destroy the most wanted effects of most bullets ! Partition bullets do better I think with bones !

I have been shooting the 28 Nosler since 2016 with the 180 Berger Hybrids 180 ELDM and 175 ELDX. LOAD DEVELOPMENT WISE first the 175 ELDX is a PITA. I can't get it to shoot nearly as well as the ELDM or Berger. I shot a coyote with the 180 ELDM at ~280yards as it was sitting facing me and it blew the back out, literally the vertebrae was 10' from the body. Otherwise no terminal reports because AZ is wicked hard to get drawn for anything. I noticed the jacket on the Berger is a different color than the Hornady ELDM and ELDX and I ran into pressure on the Berger quicker

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.