Terminal Energy is.....?

MAELTY

So far so good. I made mention that I am using a 7MM WSM Coyote. I used the advice I've been getting from this site. I dropped the gun off last week to get it pillar bedded to go along with the muzzlebreak and trigger job. I purchased the 162 gr AMAX to use and the H1000 to propel them. But rather than asking, which I dont mind, is there a number you can attach relating to the remaining energy for any given load combination that will ensure kills at long ranges, say 700 ft lbs? 900 ft lbs? Or maybe even a 1000 ft lbs.

I am not inept at working up accurate loads for any gun, I'll take the time and spend the money if needed to assure that the gun shoots, but I am thinking that after accuracy the next consideration would be the remaing energy at a given range.

If there is such a reccomended number? A person could start there before spending the time, energy and expense on an accurate load that wont kill.

The reason I'm asking is this> I have a load for my 7MM Remington Mag that is very accurate in my gun. However I am using a 140gr bullet and am not sure if this is what I need at a 1000 yrds.

Thanks for any input you can give!

Stay Straight and Narrow, A LOng Way Out
smile.gif

Tom

As you are probably aware of there are many factors that can change things, but just to give you an example. If you shoot the 140's at say 3300fps at 3000ft elev. Then you will have around 1600fps and 800 ft.lb at 1000yards. If you shoot the 162's at 3000fps then you will have about 1700fps and just over 1000 ft.lb. In my opinion either of these will have plenty to kill at 1000 yards. So it really comes down to what shoots the best.

Hope this helps

How much energy to take a deer size game is an ongoing discussion that I think will never get resolved. The rule of 1000ftlbs certainly can work but has its problems too.

You have heard the comparison between the 22/250 and a 45-70. Which one do you think will take down a bull elk better? If you thought only energy, you would say the 22/250 and you would be in for a very long search.

The way I look at this issue is that the bullet has to first get into the boiler room. After that the amount of expansion determines the speed at which blood pressure/loss occurs. This determines how fast the animal goes down. There will always be a high percentage of animals that will bolt from the impact no matter how much "energy" you hit it with. Hitting that animal harder probably would not have changed the outcome.

At long range, we must insure an accurate hit. After that the results are pretty good simply because we use heavy for calibre match bullets (high SD, BC) that expand well at low impact vel (I like my impact vel to be 1200fps and up). If the impact vel is enough to ensure adequate expansion and penetration, the energy number is really a moot point. This is for cal 6.5 and up.

I always use this analogy to put energy in perspective. If you held a handgun in 9mm luger, 38 special, or 45ACP against the hide of a deer and pulled the trigger, would this be enough to kill that deer?

If you said yes, which I hope you would, look up the ballistics and energy figures and compare to what we launch at these same critters.

Hitting them "harder" doesn't make them anymore dead.

Jerry

Thanks for your input. I really like this site because I know I've been getting good advice from some experienced Long rangers.

I'm really looking forward to getting my gun back and getting started on some loads.

I,m deciding how I want to construct a portable bench. A local farmer gave me permission to use his field so I can set up a click chart. Our local ranges only go to 300 yrds.

Maelty,

I know your area my step father has a cabin on Stone Mountain just a couple of miles from Bellville.. sound familiar??

If you could get just about any one of us a velocity reading for your load we could get you a good idea what your rifle/load is doing at different ranges..

I am not that familiar with the 7mm cartridges.. I know there alre lots here who like 'em...

I woudl venture to say your rifle is good to 500 yards easy... and that area of PA, 500 yards is a long way...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.