Does energy = lethality?

Some of our shooters have been working both of these links to come up with the numbers that help with their harvests.

Of course there are exceptions to the rules since critters don't follow along with this stuff,,, lots of variables between the end of the barrel to the extend target take place.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/frontal_area.htm

https://www.chuckhawks.com/effective_range_rifle_cartridges.html

I shoot mid size cartridges these days,,, so my plan is closing the distance. The closer I am the better my odds.

Maybe this was addressed in another post, if so please forgive me.
What about loading lower power/ lighter bullets for magnum calibers?
I am thinking I don't have to load to max for every application or at all. I have sho a 7mm mag with light loads a 150 gr. bullets and then 160 gr. at greater power loads. Recoil never seemed to bad, my 45/70 is far worse, yet still not uncomfortable for me.
I am wanting to build a .338 mag to hunt elk. I know the 7 mag will do the job......I just need a new gun for new hunt. Kinda like the wife getting a new dress and having 200 pair in the closet.....or maybe I have it all wrong. I also know this is not the answer for all occasions or people.

What about loading lower power/ lighter bullets for magnum calibers?
I am thinking I don't have to load to max for every application or at all.
Nothing wrong with it at all. I have a 300 RUM that I run at more like 300 WM velocities. Do it for the barrel life and the fact that I don't need the maxed out velocities to accomplish what I need with the rifle. Rifle is very accurate this way.
There are even reduced load ammo for the 300 RUM that renington used to make. Don't know if they still do. Also are other recipes for reduced loads with the 300 RUM. Probably some for the 338 WM also.

......What about loading lower power/ lighter bullets for magnum calibers?.......I am wanting to build a .338 mag to hunt elk.......I just need a new gun for new hunt.....

I'm not a big fan of "light loads". However, especially in the .338's, lighter bullets certainly tame them down. The 180 Accubonds at 3500 fps shoot well, and are more pleasant to use. They will destroy smaller deer and antelope, makes a hell of a mess, and once was enough for me.

Better bullets have improved terminal performance in all calibers, depending on one's personal needs, and abilities, lighter can be a better choice.

muzzle-energy-of-various-firearm-cartridges.png

[QUOTE="HARPERC, post: 1586767, ...

And yes I would like a 6lb rifle, firing laser beams with no recoil. Someplace in the $500 dollar range.

Well $500.00 includes the scope- two years worth of ammo and three out of state hunting trips.

At least that's what I told my wife it costs!
I'll bet your glad your wife isnt one of them women that research stuff. Be so easy for wives to look at what our stuff really costs. I'm glad mine doesn't really care either, otherwise, I'd be working another job. She knows everything I purchase but never asks or seems to care about cost or need. Guess I'm lucky...till she starts too.

I would say that video has more right than wrong in it. Maybe a little too bitter toward the 6.5 Creed. I don't think it is exclusively a target cartridge anymore than the 308 win or the 6.5x55. They all have their limits. The problem is marketing has blurred or eliminated the limits.

I was able to watch that video more easily than some of his others.

I was able to watch that video more easily than some of his others.

I hear ya. This guy is so overly melodramatic it is neausiating. Clips seem more about production and promoting his Youtube channel than content. He takes twenty minutes to say what can be said in two.
Life is too short to sit and listen to nonsense. Who knows, he is probably a nice guy in person. BUT heck man! Spit it out get off the stump!

Lotsa answers that I haven't read or watched.... That being said, tailor velocity, bullet construction, range to intended game.
Do NOT forego accuracy, the ability to deliver the shot with the ever present "payment due" at the butt stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.