Bullet weight, velocity and energy???

TikkaT3Hunter

Long time lurker first time poster!!!

I have a tikka T3 300 WSM that I'm currently shooting 150gr accubonds with superformance powder at an advertised velocity of 3400fps and 33" of drop in 500 yards (I know this needs to be verified) These are my deer loads but my daughter drew a cow elk tag this fall and I'm thinking a heavier bullet either 165 or 180 would be better for the elk. When I look at various powders and bullets combos for those weights neither the velocity or the energy are equal to my current load plus the heavier bullets have more drop. I'm not seeing any benefits to going to a heavier bullet but this seems contrary to what i'm reading on the internet jungle. Is it worth the time and money to work up another load that seems like it will do exactly what my current set up will do? Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
Generally, while energies can be equal between lighter and heavier bullets by varying velocity, many prefer a heavier bullet for larger, and thicker skinned game. The heavier bullet's increased weight, heavier construction, and sectional density will better maintain energy upon contact with heavier game, and give better penetration, particularly on angled shots, or when bone is encountered. With a strongly constructed bullet , the difference may be less apparent at shorter ranges, but at the longer ranges the heavier, higher BC bullet can better maintain velocity, and produce the same or increased energy and velocity. This is why you see the heavy high BC bullets being used by LR shooters. The advantage of the lighter, faster bullets is the reduced drop, but many will make the trade off for better killing power, particularly since bullet drop a known variable that can be compensated for, and less critical on larger targets. I think your inclination to go with a 180gr bullet for elk is right. IMO.

I would first ask how old your daughter is and how far do you plan on her shooting? Heavier bullet will produce a little more recoil. But the heavier bullet will also allow for more penetration when comparing the same type of bullet with different weights. The heavier bullet will carry its energy and more energy even longer and deeper then the lighter bullet. But depending on range the 150 will get the job done no problems

I would first ask how old your daughter is and how far do you plan on her shooting? Heavier bullet will produce a little more recoil. But the heavier bullet will also allow for more penetration when comparing the same type of bullet with different weights. The heavier bullet will carry its energy and more energy even longer and deeper then the lighter bullet. But depending on range the 150 will get the job done no problems

^^^+1^^^

If your daughter isn't going to be shooting out past 2-300 yards I'd say your 150 gr pills will do the trick.

Not saying its a good idea but I've seen elk fall to a 85gr pill from a 243 but it all comes down to shot placement. If your daughter is scared of the recoil of the heavier bullets you will end up making a lot more work for yourself when her shot placement isn't as good as when she was shooting the 150gr pills.

Keep shots inside a reasonable distance and have her send one into the boiler room and its all over!

the 150's are going quite fast making them look better . a 140 berger from a 7mm if driven fast can be flatter than a 168 out to 500 to 600 or more even though the 168s have a higher bc. i don't have any experience with the accubonds on game yet. but they are accurate in my rifles. if your daughter is comfortable then use that load .

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so far! My Daughter is 14 but I have a muzzle brake on the gun so recoil is not bad at all.
Iam looking for a rifle (tikkaT3 hunter lite ) in a 270 cal. for 2 young hunters I took out last year elk hunting and white tail hunting.14 and 15 years old. coyotes to elk good all around cal. for anyone.

Long time lurker first time poster!!!

I have a tikka T3 300 WSM that I'm currently shooting 150gr accubonds with superformance powder at an advertised velocity of 3400fps and 33" of drop in 500 yards (I know this needs to be verified) These are my deer loads but my daughter drew a cow elk tag this fall and I'm thinking a heavier bullet either 165 or 180 would be better for the elk. When I look at various powders and bullets combos for those weights neither the velocity or the energy are equal to my current load plus the heavier bullets have more drop. I'm not seeing any benefits to going to a heavier bullet but this seems contrary to what i'm reading on the internet jungle. Is it worth the time and money to work up another load that seems like it will do exactly what my current set up will do? Thanks for any input!

I believe 165 gr. would be the all around for her.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.